Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,661 Posts
Folks,
Specifically, those of you living in northeast Georgia or NW South Carolina. My land along Lake Russell is heavily wooded. Whenever I walk through the woods, I run into spiders webs that span up to 6 feet between trees. I do not recognize them and I do not think they are a danger to me, but it is very annoying to be removing web from my face every few minutes.
Some spiders are the size of a nickel with a bulbous body and some are long and skinny.
So what are they and what months are they building these huge webs?
Andrew

Andrew,

For some, the logic is crystal clear. Web on me, spider on me. Many spin the web just about head high which makes the experience for some just too much to manage. I have seen people have a panic attack and strip down just to get the web off. They may not be poisonous, but most a big and ugly enough to scare most people.

When young, I would spend time using them for target practice with my pellet rifle.

If interested the attached link is a good reference.

Common Spiders of NC.pdf

Reactions: bc069 and alawrence

·
Registered
138 Posts
Had a surveyor friend who used to call them "patoey" spiders, after the sound you make when the web ends up in your mouth.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Everytime I go riding I end up with at least a dozen varieties on my quad. Have fiberglass poles installed on the front so I don't end up wearing them.
I was just thinking of doing the same thing, tired of wiping the cobwebs off my face every time I am out.
Barry

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
This time of year, especially the first time I walk on a trail after summer time, I always carry a long switch and hold it in front of my face to keep the spider webs off. Also, when riding an ATV, we always take old arrow shafts and mount one straight up on each side of the handlebars or front rack for the same reason. I hate spiders when they decide to crawl down my shirt.....the webs aren't any fun either.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts