Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
Specifically, those of you living in northeast Georgia or NW South Carolina. My land along Lake Russell is heavily wooded. Whenever I walk through the woods, I run into spiders webs that span up to 6 feet between trees. I do not recognize them and I do not think they are a danger to me, but it is very annoying to be removing web from my face every few minutes.
Some spiders are the size of a nickel with a bulbous body and some are long and skinny.
So what are they and what months are they building these huge webs?
Andrew

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
They are harmless, even if their webs are annoying. Do the spiders have a hard thorax with little horns coming out the sides?

Many, many years ago, my friends and I used to pick them up by those two horns between our index finger and thumb.

A much more impressive spider in those parts is the golden orb weaver. That one will get to 3" plus and weave big webs in the garden or between a shrub and the side of a house. They typically hang out in the center of their webs and seem to like being in the sun.

Congrats on your new property.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The bulbous ones are likely common garden spiders, may have yellow coloring mixed in. The skinny ones not sure, though both are harmless. The dangerous ones usually do not spin intricate webs, the black windows web tends to be messy and fairly dense. Don't live there now but spent some time in Hartwell, and much of my family is still there. Ticks are a much bigger danger.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have come to the conclusion that they are all orb weavers.
The forest is dense with yellow pine, pin oaks and cedars. It really is a neat place to walk, but I just need to look ahead and wave a long stick in front of me.
I suspect come late fall, the spiders will go into hibernation.
Andrew

Reactions: 336 Fan

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think the technical term is the Ahhhh Dammmnn Spider😂. We have some around the house we call web dancers. They get in the center of the web and move it back and forth to catch flying bugs. The wife can kill any spider except my web dancers, they are cool

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These are the ones that make you hurt yourself early in the morning walking into the woods in Florida. Not much of a hibernation period in Florida, View attachment 821414
My brother and I would look for these in the summer and just let them walk all over us.
We thought they were the coolest of spiders.
Andrew

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
We have them here too in Virginia. Many times I won't see them and end up wearing them, lol. But in deep woods, I carry a stick. What amazes me is how quick they rebuild their webs. Just down back not far from the house, If I knock one down they will put it back up in no time.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I had a friend bitten by a garden spider, I don't think it happens often but it can. He said his hurt really bad. I think it got into his sleeve somehow. I usually walk with a stick in front of me but still get a few in the face. It sucks.
V

·
Premium Member
10,726 Posts
My brother and I would look for these in the summer and just let them walk all over us.
We thought they were the coolest of spiders.
Andrew
Not me I have seen some of those things around here about the size of a poodle. I have run into them early in the morning where I could not tell where the spider was as I tried to get the web off of me. I have also run through them while mowing and one time had one run down my back. Needless to say that got dangerous in a hurry.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
When I was younger going squirrel hunting in the wee hours of the morning to get to my spot before the sun came up I remember putting my face into spider webs. Freak me the h.... out but it was worse feeling the spider running across your face or neck. Heebe jeebies. Now gun held out front.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The Golden Orb Weaver showed up in our neck of the woods some 10-15 years ago. Some think they were brought up from the coast by Katrina. At any rate we don't see many of our native Garden Spider anymore. The G.O.W. spin yellow sticky webs across my woods roads. I keep my tractor bucket up head high to grab them before they hit me in the face. I sometimes forget and end up with a face full. They have really started spinning webs here as of late July.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts