Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't read anything about our axes yet.
I have a number of axes, mostly of the smaller variety that I use when I camp. I limb dead fall and split rounds that I find and split my construction beam fall offs etc that I take along camping. I have a Snow and Neely Hudson Bay thats real nice and Gransfor Bruks that is great, a number of American made from the 30's through the 50's and I've recently been using an Estwing hatchet. The Estwing is about 20" long and can be used with two hands for a good swing to split. The really nice thing about the Estwing is that when you split wood, the handle is the same size as the head and no damage occurs to handle, which is steel anyway, but my other axes with wood handles, not being specifically for splitting, can get damaged on the front edge of handle, which of course is unsightly and can ultimately lead to cracking. I can put a shaving edge on it with the file from my Leatherman and abuse it with abandon. I find it sort of ugly, but it really does that splitting job really well. So, inspite of it's steel handle which is not resilient like wood and it's blue rubber handle (indestructable) I give it a high score for utility.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
I have A small Eastman camp ax about 2.5ft long I have had for nearly 20 years. Seems to be indestructable. highly reconended.

·
Registered
578 Posts
If you go back a few pages you'll find a few threads on Axe's, but you're right in that they don't get the love that our knives do.
Here's a couple I've posted on previous threads that I picked up for camping this year.

Bought the little Moore Maker first, and while I'm really impressed with the workmanship, I'm not sure it's the best choice for a "Camp Axe".
Fast forward a few months, and I ran across the leather handled Estwing in a sale basket at the local Ace hardware.
The original idea was to replace my old Plumb Rigging axe that I've used for more years than I care to think about. The Estwing's ability to drive tent stakes, as well as the durable steel handle should come allot closer to filling the bill, than the Double Bit Moore Maker. I'll keep the Moore Maker around the house for chopping kindling for my shop stove, and see how the Estwing does for camping if the weather ever clears up enough for us to actually go camping.

I've always lusted over the Gansford and Wetterling's, but with things being the way they are these days, I'll opt for the US made S&N next year if the Estwing doesn't work out.
I hope it does though cause It'll be a nice companion for my old Estwing knife.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Ive got some old axe heads I need to put up.Maybe get some info on. Ones flat on one side,I cant remember what you call them kind.Got a few hackets and a couple tomahawks,But your right,, axes have there place too.
Gunrunner,,

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Went and checked my house and found these two old axeheads.Ive a few more in Dads barns.The one with the crude handle is the one with a flat side and one beveled.I put the rough cedar handle in.Not a good job I know,but I did it all with a pocket knife ;D The other one Ive found sometime or another,I think it could be made into a working axe.Its just hard for me to walk away from a old peice of metal with history.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MyDogsHunt,
I've got a Vaughan rigging axe I've been using for the last 25 years or so, still goes sometimes. That leather handled Estwing is great, good complment to the knife. I really prefer a wood handle for comfort and looks, but those steel handle really do take incredible abuse and the steel quality aint too shabby either.

·
Registered
578 Posts
No Fish,,,,,,,,, I'm with ya as far as wood handles go. Believe me, anyone that broke in as a Carpenter before nail guns will tell ya that metal and/or fiberglass handles are for pulling nails. NOT driving em. I do have an old metal handled Estwing though that I used for concrete forming where a hammer spent more time digging and prying than driving nails. Probably had it 40+ years. It's a real testiment to how durable those old Estwings are. Heck,,,, the rubber handle isn't even rotted.

Back to the original topic..... I posted a while back about a show I saw on the history channel about the history of axes. They took a tour of the "Council" factory. Pretty interesting if ya get a chance to see it.

http://www.counciltool.com/DisplayCategories.asp?pg=displaycategories&category=77

Here's link to their web-site that shows their premiere collector type axe. Looks like they're also going to come out with one in the Hudson Bay pattern. It'll be interesting to see the design and price point.
If their regular line of Hudson bay axes are an indication, it just might be a nice value.

Anywhoooo, good thread.
Charlie

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I have a number of axes but nothing special with the exception of this hatchet from the BSA made by PLUMB that I have posted in other posts before. When I go camping or hunting I take larger axes to split large logs along with a sledge hammer.

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Being in the cub scouts,Boy scouts(Eagle)and Explorers. I like that one Joe. Wished I still had my stuff from back then.Had the boy scout knife too.When Dad sold that house,I was in my 20s and didnt care.He left a lot of our toys and such.all my scouting stuff was in a trunk.Id love to go through that thing now.
Gunrunner,

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MyDogsHunt,
Thanks for the link. Great to see American made steel. You start out as a carpenter too?

Greg

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
gunrunner said:
Being in the cub scouts,Boy scouts(Eagle)and Explorers. I like that one Joe. Wished I still had my stuff from back then.Had the boy scout knife too.When Dad sold that house,I was in my 20s and didnt care.He left a lot of our toys and such.all my scouting stuff was in a trunk.Id love to go through that thing now.
Gunrunner,
Randy,
I was also in Scouting but my father was to poor to be able to purchase the nice things that I needed. I did get a few things on my own but got out of Scouts early and began to travel and hunt the mountains on my own and with some friends. ;D Lost track of all my Scouting materials and tools over the years, so I guess were kind of in the same boat. Would be nice to get your stuff back, have you ever thought about going to you dads old house and ask the people who live there if the trunk is still around? ;)

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
No I havnt Joe. Ride by it ever so often. Like to have the box of GI Joes and other toys too. Bet they are worth something these days.

·
Registered
578 Posts
AINT NO FISH said:
MyDogsHunt,
Thanks for the link. Great to see American made steel. You start out as a carpenter too?

Greg
Yep,,,, started and finished. Ha
Went to Vocational school my last two years of high-school. Several of the trade unions were involved in it. We'd actually build a small spec house each year to help subsidize the school as well as get some hands on experience.
When you graduated, you were a third year apprentice, and on your way to having what was a respectable career back then.
Unfortunatly,,, trade schools seem to have gone away, and the Carpenter union's just another corrupt political tool, that couldn't care less about passing on the skills of the trade.
I was proud to say I was a Carpenter back in the day, but wouldn't recomend it to a young person these days.
Oh well,,, just the ramblings of a grumpy old man. Sorry. :-[

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
gunrunner said:
No I havnt Joe. Ride by it ever so often. Like to have the box of GI Joes and other toys too. Bet they are worth something these days.
:'( :'( to think about loosing valuables.

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Tell yall something.I like everthing about axes but using em ;D Them pickaxes,sledgehammers, slingblades,and madocks put a hurting on me ;D Remember being little(Well I never was little ;)) young and my Grandpa would ask me how many licks I thought itd take to cut down that tree??? whatever number I came up with hed do his best to do.Id try and help him,chop or bust wood. wouldnt be able to grip nothing or even comb or bush my hair that night ;D He was good at it.I learned its a Art,that I never learned like I should.Paul Bunyan Randy aint.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
gunrunner said:
Tell yall something.I like everthing about axes but using em ;D Them pickaxes,sledgehammers, slingblades,and madocks put a hurting on me ;D Remember being little(Well I never was little ;)) young and my Grandpa would ask me how many licks I thought itd take to cut down that tree??? whatever number I came up with hed do his best to do.Id try and help him,chop or bust wood. wouldnt be able to grip nothing or even comb or bush my hair that night ;D He was good at it.I learned its a Art,that I never learned like I should.Paul Bunyan Randy aint.
When ya come out here to hunt with me you wont have to worry about wood chores being so hard as we have so much bark beetle kill that I just cut a tree down and drag it with a four wheeler to the camp and just cut in to pieces right there. ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MyDogsHunt,
Yes, sad situation today for may of the trades. Where I live out here the west, local kids don't have a chance against the more recently imigratrated people who automatically go into the building trades. Wages have stayed the same for years. I was making better money as a finish carpenter in the 80's than most are today.
Back to axes. I just ordered a Wetterling small splitting axe, couldn't resist. Great hand forged, with a weighty head designed for splitting at a 20" length. I camp frequently and always bring Doug Fir (sometime oak flooring scrap) cutoffs for fire and I make a ritual of splitting and preparing my firewood. I also collect and in more primitive areas do limb downfall and typically break the cut off limbs into smaller pieces.

Greg

·
Registered
578 Posts
AINT NO FISH said:
Where I live out here the west, local kids don't have a chance against the more recently imigratrated people who automatically go into the building trades. Wages have stayed the same for years.

Greg
Yep,,,, I'm in the west too, so I know exactly what ya mean.
Watching the "recently imigrated" guys walk into the hall and buy a journeyman card for 150.00, when I'd just spent four years of my life getting one kinda left a bad taste in my mouth where the Union was concerned too. I don't dare get started on the other BS (like two gate systems on prevaling wage jobs) that eventually made me give up on the Union and migrate toward management. Grrrrr

Oh well, back on topic.
Love those Wetterling axes, but like I said earlier, "in these economic times I'd probably go with the US made S&N".
To each his own though.
Let us know how ya like the Wetterling.
Charlie

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I.ve got a Snow and Neely Hudson Bay. Great axe. I don't think they make a splitter though, Hey maybe I should look ionto that.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts