Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I found a 336ADL chambered in 32 win in a pawn shop. The first digit on the serial number was "G" so I know it was made sometime in the early 50s. This gun had a beautiful stock and it looked like it was in good mechanical condition "BUT" the bone head who owned it before put on an ugly recoil pad, d&t the barrel for one mount and d&t the receiver for the other mount.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I just don't understand drilling and tapping those old rifles.

But then you can't ever tell who did this and when. It may have been done so long ago that the owner may not have known he was greatly compromising the value of an otherwise fine rifle.

I might consider rescuing this rifle and plugging all the holes if the price is right.

I happen to have an extra Marlin butt plate.

SS

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
It is hard to tell maby Marlin did the receiver? In one of my friends old catalogs you could send your rifle in to Marlin and they would D&T the receiver for something like $3.00

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The person who D&T this gun screwed it up because the first hole drilled was just behind the mount on the receiver and it wasn't drilled straight, in fact they didn't even tap the hole because it was drilled on such an angle. The pawn shop was asking $299.00 for this gun. If I could have picked it up for $150.00 or less I would have made a project gun out of it. What a shame, this is the first old deluxe gun I have found and I have done alot of shopping.

G

·
Wyatt said:
The person who D&T this gun screwed it up because the first hole drilled was just behind the mount on the receiver and it wasn't drilled straight, in fact they didn't even tap the hole because it was drilled on such an angle. The pawn shop was asking $299.00 for this gun. If I could have picked it up for $150.00 or less I would have made a project gun out of it. What a shame, this is the first old deluxe gun I have found and I have done alot of shopping.

For two or three years in a row , there was a guy at the VA Gun Collectors show with a 336ADL in 32 un D&T 'd for $400 . Each year I thought of buying but was hung up on the SC's . Then the following year I went looking for it and he told me he traded it a couple weeks before the show. :?
This gun was about 95%. The guy is in the Marlin Collectors Association , so if he was getting rid of that rifle I can just imagine what he had at home :wink:

G

·
Ok, a loose bone to pick...

Most people I know (with the exception of several cranky ole farts in this forum) don't buy guns with an eye on their future collector value.

That said, it is always a head scratcher to me when someone buys a second-hand gun and then bitches about what a previous owner did to his own gun which at the time was none of their damned business.

You're out shopping for a project gun, and when you find one, you cry about how nobody except you knows how it should be and about that other dumbass who sure humped the pooch.

You don't know why that other fellow did what he did.

His mods aren't screwing up any gun any more than some of the things folks talk about right here in this forum.

Sorry Wyatt, my mini-rant isn't aimed at you and my intended idea isn't as severe or critical as it sounds. Is not meant to offend in any way.

Like I said, it just makes me scratch my head.

:?

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Maybe it wasn't an old gun when it was D&Ted........

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not here to judge anyone and I really don't care what people do to their own guns. All I am saying is this was a nice gun that I would like to own but it isn't worth the money because someone did a sloppy job on the modifications.

G

·
OK, maybe I was off base and just didn't get the gist of what you were trying to say.

Apologies for any offense. As I said earlier, didn't intend to.

:)

G

·
Personally if I were buying that rifle it would be as a collectible first and foremost . So the wholes would kill it for me . However if I wanted it for rebarreling it is salvageble.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I can see both sides of this issue.

My first centerfire was a Win. 94 30-30 in about 1961, before I could drive. In the next two or three years I had completely screwed it up: had a recoil pad installed at the wrong pitch, knocked the ramp off trying to change front sight blade, got rid of factory rear sight, and caused damage to the bluing by improper storage. :oops: Young AND stupid.

IIRC it was eventually traded off on a 3" mag. 12 ga. 870 for goose hunting.

Years later I had to forgive myself for the sins of my youth. But I still wish I hadn't screwed it up, still had it, and could pass it to a grandson.

Live and learn.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
When I'm looking at old Marlins I figure if I'm going to buy the gun I don't want it if it has been D&T when it was not orginal. I passed on a 336A last year because of that. It was a pretty nice gun...BUT for what the guy wanted for it you could get an orginal not D&T. Hell, I can see why a guy could do that. It was his rifle and he wanted to hunt deer with it, maby his eyes were failing and needed the scope, and insted of buying a new rifle he just had his trusty ol rifle D&T for a scope. But if I'm buying it I sure as hell am not going to pay premium price for something not orginal. Now if the price was right, I'd buy it for a shooter and not look back.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It is ONLY the guys that drilled and tapped many of those old rifles 20-plus years ago who made the undrilled ones valuable.

It's like the thing about Comic books, you know... the "I used to be a millionaire until my mom threw away my comic book collection"

If there weren't so many moms throwing them away they'd be worth only their weight in recycled paper...

AllanD

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
like they say....get over it and move on....we do what we do and buy what we buy....don't fret over the stuff you can't control....play "what if" and you 'll get yourself in a tizzy! :lol:

·
Registered
736 Posts
From my experience with many gun shows, most so-called "gun collectors" don't give a crap about guns - or people. They're only interested in making a profit, often unscrupulously, at the expense of the buyer and their own integrity. They go to great lengths to explain why your gun isn't worth squat and theirs is a valuable treasure. Then when someone does foolishly "sell" a "flawed" gun to the maggot, it magically becomes a treasure with a sell price several times greater than the original buyer received. These maggots call themselves "gun collectors." I call them crooks.

My suggestion is to never, EVER sell a gun to anyone behind a table at a gun show. If you need to sell a gun, list it online or in the paper. Sell it to someone who wants it and likes guns. You will get a better deal. If you find a gun at a show that you are considering buying, BEWARE! How do I know these things? BECAUSE I AM ONE OF THE IDIOTS THAT "SOLD" SOME OF MY PRECIOUS GUNS TO THESE MAGGOTS. But no more.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I find this an interesting thread. Let me ask a question, how do you gentlemen feel about someone having a new Marlin drilled and tapped on the reciever for a Williams or lyman sight. They used to be drilled and tapped--- but now it is an aftermarket job. Would having this done effect the value in the future in your opinion?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Williams makes their trusty receiver sight to mount using the 2 aft scope base holes on the newer non-D&T Marlins. It is called the FP336. The FP94/336 is for the side mount holes.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I'd drill it in a heartbeat buckeyeshooter & be happy about it. :wink: Done it to a Winchester I had once & plan on doing my Rossi one day. I doubt I'll be buying a new Marlin anytime soon but if I do it'll be getting drilled on the reciever side like its suposed to be. I wouldn't drill the top tho on an old gun but I'd imagine if I was around in 1954 & got a new Marlin I wanted to scope I'd have had it done.
I think I'd have someone competent do it but I'd still get it done. Thats when they started by the way, 1955. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Big Redhead,

Don't hold back, tell me what you think! :D I agree with you, regular dealers at gun shows aren't the most trustworthy group.

I've only bought one rifle at a gunshow. It was an early 336A in .35. The guy I bought it from had maybe 4 or 5 guns of his own he was selling. Worked out great, but then he was a one time private seller.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If you own the gun and plan on keeping it, or aren't simply collecting....do with it whatever you please....it's yours. I have guns engraved with my name....didn't buy any of them to save, look at, to resell, or keep for later value....just to shoot and/or hunt with...if you get any with my name on them, they are either stolen or I've died and the wife has sold them! :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts