Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a blued XL .270 black syn. stock today at a gun store for $410.00. I bought all 3 of mine for less than $300.00 with tax included, heck one of them cost $224.00 on sale. Don't know if they are just trying to rip people off or if they know something I don't. You guys seeing prices that high?

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
They can't have gone up 25% in four months. :eek: Mine was $350 including tax last November, and according to Gander Mtn's website, the standard model is still just $330. What a rip-off, indeed... :mad:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I gave 275 last Saturday for an 30-06, and they still had more, as well as 270's in stock. Maybe I should go back and get a couple more and sit on them for a year.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
h2opumper said:
I gave 275 last Saturday for an 30-06, and they still had more, as well as 270's in stock. Maybe I should go back and get a couple more and sit on them for a year.
You know I didn't check to see if it was a Remlin or original Marlin. Hey h20, what is yours? Maybe Remingon/Cerebus is trying to close out the original Marlins cheaply. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
I have not looked at any lately in NC but will keep an I out. There are 9 XL's on GUNBROKER right now going from 310 to 449 - the average is over 350 because 3 of the blued guns are at 399. One at 439 is a .270 w 3-9x scope and the one at 449 is a stainless 30-06.

Prices on almost everything I have seen at the gun shows in the last 6 months are all going up more than other products in my opinion.

GB45

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mine has the JM stamp on it. Actually this chain is no longer going to be selling the X series, they are going to be stocking the Rem 770's going forward. Love the looks and the feel of the Marlin. I only shot off a few rounds to see if it was on paper, which it was. Now I'm just waiting for the snow to melt so I can spend some time on the range. I might have a tough time choosing which gun to carry in the field as my regular come hunting season. My other rifle is a Ruger Hawkeye 270, I bought that rifle around the time the Marlins were being introduced, unfortunately, I missed that introduction. I'm very tempted to pick up another one or two and sit on them, or trade to an XS model. 275 sure seems to be a fair purchase price.

·
Registered
990 Posts
'scout,
That's nothing. 2 YEARS ago, I saw a camo 270 "X" gun at the local gun show. The "dealer" had a price of $699 on it!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
My primary local dealer is still selling black "X" guns for $329, and I brought home a used 308 "X" gun that wasn't even fired for $269 this week. ;)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dmsbandit said:
'scout,
That's nothing. 2 YEARS ago, I saw a camo 270 "X" gun at the local gun show. The "dealer" had a price of $699 on it!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
My primary local dealer is still selling black "X" guns for $329, and I brought home a used 308 "X" gun that wasn't even fired for $269 this week. ;)

Hmmm Bandit, funny how the price is all over the place! I do wonder if Remington is trying to bump the price up so they will sell more of those junky 770/710's ( I can't remember which one it is). Just think if some poor soul bought that $699.00 Marlin and later found out what they were really going for. :mad: That would be an under expression right there.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Since we are bookmarking prices for this time period, I'll chime in.

In Jacksonville, NC the Dick's stated they could order the XS or XL blued with synthetic stock for $329.

The last time I was at the local shop in New Bern, NC, Field and Stream, they had a 7mm-08 for $349.

I haven't been to Neuse Sport Shop lately, in Kinston, NC, but they had the largest selection of calibers in the blued and synthetic stock and the fella said they were selling them like candy. They're price at one point about a year ago was $299. I haven't been since the Fall, but I believe they were $309 then.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
A company such as Marlin can offer a new product at a break even price to just get a market share.When the demand goes up so will the price.Its called Capitalism and is how this country works.As far as the individual Retailer goes,they can charge what ever the market bears.I am sure that is why prices vary in different parts of the country.These rifles are too good to stay at a low price,so now is the time to buy!!!! ;D

·
Registered
200 Posts
OLBIKER said:
A company such as Marlin can offer a new product at a break even price to just get a market share.When the demand goes up so will the price.Its called Capitalism and is how this country works.As far as the individual Retailer goes,they can charge what ever the market bears.I am sure that is why prices vary in different parts of the country.These rifles are too good to stay at a low price,so now is the time to buy!!!! ;D
Biker, you sound like an employee of Marlin looking for a bigger Christmas bonus.

·
Super Moderator
16,511 Posts
I might just go and get that 30-06 synthetic sitting at the pawn shop for $260.00 (I think) with a one piece base with rings. Serial # started with 91. Mr fixit

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
cancov said:
Biker, you sound like an employee of Marlin looking for a bigger Christmas bonus.
Nope,but I have owned several businesses.I sold lots of stuff at introductory prices and it works.101 Marketing.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
OLBIKER said:
Nope,but I have owned several businesses.I sold lots of stuff at introductory prices and it works.101 Marketing.
Hey, I can vouch for that. The first time I sold anything, I got about $800 in checks and made about a $40 profit. Recently I got $1800 worth of checks and made $775. :) Yeah, now you know how little I earn for guns and ammo...my little side business just about covers extras like those. ;D

·
Banned
497 Posts
When I picked up my 30-06 last year 4 shops (mom and pop and chain stores too) in my area of Kalifornia all had the xl priced within $25 of each other. I plunked down the $400 in the shop closest to me and called it good. Don't know why but guns here are usually $100 more than in OR or NV just an hour or so away.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
becasue with gas prices one hour drive is about the cost of the savings you would get for driving.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got a 7-mm 08 special ordered from dicks in PA for $349 with a Realtree APG camo stock. Also have a .270 and had a 243 that I traded and wish I didn't. Anyone intrested in the camo stock for a xs let me know I just picked up a new boyds.

·
Banned
1 Posts
Deerhunter said:
I got a 7-mm 08 special ordered from dicks in PA for $349 with a Realtree APG camo stock. Also have a .270 and had a 243 that I traded and wish I didn't. Anyone intrested in the camo stock for a xs let me know I just picked up a new boyds.

How much you asking for it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts