Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a lot of quality 22mag ammo developed lately, Winchester , Hornady, CCI, 30, 33 gr pointed polymer tip stuff. What has worked for you in accuracy, killing power, flat shooting? Ammo is still kind of hard to find and getting pricey so might as well start trying what has good history behind it. I'll be using a just acquired Marlin XT
22mag. Also the standard 40 gr versions.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hornady, with my 1894M and 25M, less than an inch drop between 50 and 100yds and 5 shot 1/2" groups at 50yds. I have shot 5 round 1 big hole groups but average 5 shot 1/2" clusters @ 50yds. I have shot everthing available but the Hornady perform the best.

The Campingman!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Yup, the original Win load, great game load. Used to like the 50gr Federal HP, but out of production now

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
I have 7 different 22mag rifles, and 1 handgun ((Ruger Super Single 6))
I have used the old Winchester Super X 40gr
JHP for everything imaginable upto deer with good results! My Marlin 25M is ammo finicky and ONLY shoots the Winchester and RWS ammo accurately! It Hates any other brand and patterns instead of groups!!!????
My CZ is the total opposite, it likes'em all.
My 3 favorites are CCI Maxi Mag +V HP, Federal Premium TNT HP, Win Super X JHP! 1 more that's excellent is RWS JHP!

The Maxi Mag +V is 30gr, great killer!
Fed TNT is Awesome killer, BUT, Explosive on small critters, more than ANY other bullet!
Winny Super X is a Very good all around bullet.
RWS has proven itself as a great all around bullet!

I picked up 500 rnds of CCI Game Points, shoots accurately but haven't YET tried it on any game animals! Looks promising though!!! It's basically a JSP...

Good luck
BloodGroove4570

PS
Remington 22mags I tried when they first came out in the late 90's iirc, I had wayyyy too many FTF's and stopped using them and never went back to them... Not sure how they work now, but I'll stick to the ones I listed as they always go BANG and just flat WORK!!!!

·
Premium Member
15,419 Posts
I stick with good aloe' fashioned Win Super-X and CCI MAxi Mag

may be that some of the new fangled stuff is better, but these work well enough for me I know where my firearms print with them

newer stuff is too expensive, hard to get and not enough time to spend at range re-adjusting sights/scopes

Reactions: graymustang

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Somebody made mention of the 22 mag on deer. Not unheard of for a guy to go squirrel hunting around here with a 22mag, suddenly go home, grab the bow, and then drag a deer out of the woods. Not gonna pass judgement, people need meat.

Now the 22 Hornet can be reloaded cheaply enough, maybe even cheaper than buying a box of 22mag, and is something to look at when increased effect and flatter shooting is desired, or loaded down to speeds simalair to the 22mag .

·
Registered
140 Posts
For me,the hornaday 22 mag is the best preformer, and the most accurate. My $0.02

·
Banned
2,160 Posts
CCI MaxiMAg and/or CCI TNT. One just under 2000 and one just over IIRC. Hornady is very good too and very expensive/rare. As long as you stay away from that gardbage Winchester (all their RF is crap IMO) PDX self defence 1200 FPS stuff in rifles you'll be OK.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've used the Remington Premier polymer tip stuff. Very good accuracy. Now it is very expensive if you can find it. The Hornady Vmax is very accurate, bought some a week ago at 12.99

1 - 14 of 14 Posts