Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My recent thread about searching for a hunting load got me thinking. What is your favorite load, bullet, powder, etc.? I’ve got some different bullets on the way for testing. So far mine is 240gr TC with 29gr of IMR4227, brass trimmed to 2.175 to stop pre-engagement. Just curious what your experience has been that led you to your favorite load. Thank you in advance.
Justin

·
Super Moderator
15,475 Posts
This handload is not in any reloading manual.

This is a load that I developed from scratch. I have used the following reload since 2006; it kills deer, elk, and black bear superbly................
• Remington® Case trimmed to 2.215"
• Remington® 9½ Large Rifle Primer
• 45.0gr H4198 Powder
• Beartooth® 290gr LFNGC (296gr total weight) Boolit .432"
• COL: 2.570"

Please note that my load is safe in both my 1966 444 and 1988 444SS rifle(s). I have used this load for 14 years and it is safe in my gun(s). THAT DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL BE SAFE IN YOUR GUN(S)! I advise you to start at 41.0gr of powder and work up in .5 (½)gr increments. My load IS NOT SAFE if loaded in Hornady® brass!

Shooting from the bench with this load I can place 3 shots into 1" at 100yds consistently.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I use 46.0gr/H4198 (One grain under max in most manuals) with a Hornady 265gr round nose bullet. Very accurate in my 444P and very effective on the size game you mentioned.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for replying. Both loads seem like they would get the job done. I’ve got an order of some .432 dis. 320gr hard cast on the way. Should be here Tuesday, can’t wait to get them loaded up and do some testing.

Reactions: hawkeyesatx

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This handload is not in any reloading manual.

This is a load that I developed from scratch. I have used the following reload since 2006; it kills deer, elk, and black bear superbly................
• Remington® Case trimmed to 2.215"
• Remington® 9½ Large Rifle Primer
• 45.0gr H4198 Powder
• Beartooth® 290gr LFNGC (296gr total weight) Boolit .432"
• COL: 2.570"

Please note that my load is safe in both my 1966 444 and 1988 444SS rifle(s). I have used this load for 14 years and it is safe in my gun(s). THAT DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL BE SAFE IN YOUR GUN(S)! I advise you to start at 41.0gr of powder and work up in .5 (½)gr increments. My load IS NOT SAFE if loaded in Hornady® brass!

Shooting from the bench with this load I can place 3 shots into 1" at 100yds consistently.
How long does BTB usually take to ship an order. I just put in an order for the 290gr GC.

·
Super Moderator
15,475 Posts
How long does BTB usually take to ship an order. I just put in an order for the 290gr GC.
You can call and ask them as it's been several years for me since I last ordered some.

·
Super Moderator
15,475 Posts
You can call and ask them as it's been several years for me since I last ordered some.
I use 46.0gr/H4198 (One grain under max in most manuals) with a Hornady 265gr round nose bullet. Very accurate in my 444P and very effective on the size game you mentioned.
I use the same load except mine uses 47.0gr of H4198 (a MAX LOAD). It too is superbly accurate.

Reactions: hawkeyesatx

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
IMR 4227 may be a little on the "fast" side for best results in the 444.
Reloader7 and 4198 work well for a lot of folks, me included.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are correct, I’ve gotta find that bullet powder combo. A lot of test will be ran in the near future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts