Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleaning cases with SS pins is my preferred method. I've been using them for quite a while now. The only "problem" is once the tumbling is done, there's a lot of labor involved with separating the the pins from the dirty water. My SOP is:
  1. Put (dry) media separator in 5-gal. bucket.
  2. Pour contents of tumbler in to separator.
  3. Rinse contents with clean, cold water.
  4. Agitate to get the pins to fall thru into the bucket.
  5. Dry the cases.
  6. Recover the pins out of the dirty water.
Step 6 - I have a big plastic funnel that has a fine, brass screen at the choke point but it wouldn't let the dirt pass through. I would dump water and pins into the funnel, remove the pins, rinse the funnel, repeat several times.

I tried a magnet (meh), and a few different kitchen sieves (big HD ones) but the mesh was always too large to retain the pins. I finally broke down and bought one of these with #20 mesh (0.0331" - the pins I use are 0.040" dia).

·
Administrator
28,015 Posts
Cleaning cases with SS pins is my preferred method. I've been using them for quite a while now. The only "problem" is once the tumbling is done, there's a lot of labor involved with separating the the pins from the dirty water. My SOP is:
  1. Put (dry) media separator in 5-gal. bucket.
  2. Pour contents of tumbler in to separator.
  3. Rinse contents with clean, cold water.
  4. Agitate to get the pins to fall thru into the bucket.
  5. Dry the cases.
  6. Recover the pins out of the dirty water.
Step 6 - I have a big plastic funnel that has a fine, brass screen at the choke point but it wouldn't let the dirt pass through. I would dump water and pins into the funnel, remove the pins, rinse the funnel, repeat several times.

I tried a magnet (meh), and a few different kitchen sieves (big HD ones) but the mesh was always too large to retain the pins. I finally broke down and bought one of these with #20 mesh (0.0331" - the pins I use are 0.040" dia).

View attachment 848800
I rigged up a similar mesh system but I like that sieve you have, got a link where to purchase it?

Jack

Reactions: Ret_Eng and cajun56

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I rigged up a similar mesh system but I like that sieve you have, got a link where to purchase it?

Jack
You can't buy direct, you have to buy through a distributor. I got it from Amazon, $65 +free next day delivery.

This might be more cost effective but I'm running out of places to stash stuff:

·
Super Moderator
33,728 Posts
I have plenty of experience with these screens! We had stacks of them at work! Not cheap! The most popular size material we sold at CCI was 20/40 mesh.
The stack consisted
16-mesh
20-mesh
25-mesh
30-mesh
40-mesh
50-mesh
We would grab a sample with a three foot probe. split it down to almost 100 grams. Ran it over the stack of screens in a rotap for ten minutes.

Should last you a life time, with what your using it for.

ca'jun56

Reactions: rob42049

·
Administrator
28,015 Posts

·
Administrator
28,015 Posts
You can't buy direct, you have to buy through a distributor. I got it from Amazon, $65 +free next day delivery.

This might be more cost effective:

Thanks, Paulo!

Jack

·
Registered
111 Posts
I use the RCBS dry media separator to tumble the pins out of the brass. The bottom half is deep enough that you can rinse the pins and pour the water off without losing any pins. They are still damp after rinsing, but will dry overnight or quicker during the summer if you leave them in the sun. It is simple and fast.

Regards,

Kris

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I just run warm water over the cases as I pull them out upside down. It has to be done with the cases totally submerged so the pins don't stick to the side of the case from surface tension. Warning do not do this on the side of the sink with a garbage disposal. I have never done more than 100 so if you do a lot of them this might be to labor intensive.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Gold mining clarifying screens are cheaper..easily to order in all sizes and they all fit directly onto an empty bucket!

·
Registered
937 Posts
For myself, sieves are too labor intensive, take up too much storage space, and are generally a royal PIA.

My procedure is as follows:
A. I pour off the dirty water in the sink (think decanting the dirty water from the cleaned brass and S/S pins.).
B. Run HOT water into my drum and stir the brass/pins with a plastic (Teflon?) slotted spoon.
C. Repeat step B At Least Three Times. This cleans the pins, removes residual soap from the brass, and heats the brass so it dries more quickly, without spotting.
D. Pour off the clean, hot water (leaving an inch or so over the brass/pins in the bottom of the drum).
E. Empty the drum into the dry media separator (with cover), spin to separate pins and brass.
F. Put the cleaned brass on a thick towel, shake & roll to remove excess water. I then open the towel on the picnic table on the patio and let the sunshine finish the drying process for me. The little bit of water in the bottom of the separator can be easily poured off allowing the pins to dry overnight or they can be poured back in the drum for another run.

It all takes way less time to do than to type out the procedure!
To each his own, but this is the method that works best for me and doesn't fuzz up my Bride!

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Premium Member
2,273 Posts
Of course, There's a lot more to my overall cleaning process, but for the primary process of pin separation and management, this is what I came up with.

I went the "discount" method for separating pins a while back.
My method is pretty simple and fast.
it includes a large plastic salad bowl. approximately 2 gallon size version
a large, plastic spaghetti strainer. (that fits into the large salad bowl with room to slosh around).
both purchased from the dollar store
and a 5 gallon paint strainer mesh bag from home depot.

I place the salad bowl inside the strainer bag. then the spaghetti strainer on on top of the "bowl in a bag"
filled with hot water.. and with hot water running, I dump the brass and pins into the strainer, shake vigorously while keeping the strainer submerged. pins fall right out in seconds thru the large holes in the strainer..
all pins are now "captured" in the strainer bag over the salad bowl.
now, I just remove the bag and pins as a unit, from the salad bowl. the paint strainer bag turns into a handy-dandy SS pin storage bag.
When Im done processing brass, I just set the strainer bag, with pins inside, on a towel to absorb excess water for 10-15 minutes and they're dry and still stored in the strainer bag for later. no fuss, no muss, no magnets. about as simple as I could make the process for myself.

the paint strainers last about a year or so under extremely heavy use, (10's of thousands of rounds) but for about 7$ a two pack.. that's not bad to me.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Prepared to get flamed, but

- Boy am I glad that I continue to use dry media (crushed Macadamia shell) in a vibratory case cleaner (with a dash of Dillon's case cleaner liquid).

Dry; no problem with media getting stuck in cases; easy to separate cases from media with a garden sieve.

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
No flames from me, Prickle Farmer, I did it that way for years and years. But now that I'm more into precision rifle shooting (the cheapie version) I use the pins almost all the time, it cleans primer pockets and the brass comes out looking better than new.

My method:
Tumble with pins, water, a drop or two of Dawn and a TINY bit of Lemi-Shine. (Too much Lemi-Shine will ruin your brass, trust me.) After tumbling I take the lid off the tumbler barrel, stick a hose in it and run it until the water is clear and you can see everything at the bottom. Stir occasionally, to rinse all the carbon out.

Pour off the water carefully, then pour the whole mess onto a towel on a back yard table. Spread it out and let the towel and the sun take care of the water. Then pick up the towel, pour everything into the separator, and spin it slowly. I use a fan to eliminate the remaining moisture, and leave it on so the pins in the bottom of the separator dry out overnight.

My first boss realized I was a lazy 15-year old kid, but smart. So he'd give me a task to do, and watch me find the easiest way to do it properly. Then he'd make everyone else do it the same way, because it was the most efficient.

Lazy and smart can be a good thing. ;)

Reactions: flatsneck

·
Registered
43 Posts
I find the Lyman Cyclone separator works very well..... after separating.. remove the basket from the bottom half ... take the full bottom half and pour off the excess water without having the pins come out.... then pour the pins and water in a 5 gal bucket with a paint strainer installed..... ... Lift up the strainer.. hose it down if you want..... dump the pins back into the tumbler.... I don't even thoroughly clean the tumbler out from the get go... Put the lid back on the tumbler... I've never ever dried the pins or tumbler.... I have one in Florida and one up North ... Never any rust or any other problem in 7 plus years... Works for me....

·
Super Moderator
13,438 Posts
I do similar to OP but I moved to chips instead of pins. You'll only pick pins out of 25/06 case necks once before you move to chips. I use two sieves, one just big enough to let the chips fall thru, and then a very tight mesh sieve below it that lets the water thru but not the pins. About as fast as dry tumbling except washing the soapy residue off the cases and making sure the chips are out of all the cases.

Oh yeah, I tumble a lot of brass fired with black powder. I found putting a little bit of oxi-clean in the barrel cleans the chips and pins every single tumble, and makes the brass cleaner and brighter. Just be careful, the oxi-clean with dish soap will pressurize the barrel. Shake it up good and crack the lid before you tumble. Like a shaken coke can.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts