Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have what I would consider (personally) a nice to me collection of Marlins ranging the last 100 years. I recently started expanding my interest into the store brand Marlins. I acquired a Glenfield sporting carbine (with the short mag tube) and a western auto version not long ago. I recently won a GB auction for a Western Field. At $425, it was a bit more than I would have paid in the past. However, given the current market and the fact that this was a straight stock rifle, with what appears to be around an 18” barrel (I don’t have it in hand yet, pick it up on Monday), I felt like it was worth it to me. The roll mark lists the model as M72C and it appears to be in very good condition. Although not mentioned in the listing, I suspect the wood was refinished at some point. Appears to have a very short forend but it looks original because there’s no modification to the barrel/mag tube (or else I would see the old notch for the front barrel band). My research tells me that it is actually a Mossberg production variant that bears a very similar appearance to the 336, but I still thought it would find a nice home amongst my Marlins. What do you all think? Anyone have one of these?

·
Registered
138 Posts
For 425 you did good. It looks good but will never be a marlin. First time I saw one I assumed it was a marlin as well. Interesting to see the internals and see how different they are.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I would not hesitate to pay $425 for that rifle. You did good, let us know how she shoots. Good find.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It is a Mossberg.
The June edition of Guns & Ammo has a write up on the Mossberg 464 that goes into the origins of the model 72 for Montgomery Wards, interesting article.

REK

·
Super Moderator
33,148 Posts
I had a Mossburg 472 lever action I picked up for $135 from my LGS! Sold it to my younger brother be caused he wanted it!

ca'jun56

·
Premium Member
6,339 Posts
Congrats on a nice rifle!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It’s an interesting rifle. Has the outward appearance of a Marlin at first glance but the mossberg operating system is quite different, almost simpler in some ways. It will make a nice home amongst my lever guns.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The 472 Mossie was my first 30 WCF lever gun. Paid $45 for it from a guy that wanted a more powerful '06, cuz he couldn't hit deer with it, so he needed more power to flinch worse. Put a Weaver 1X shotgun scope on it, cuz that's what I could afford in the used scope case at the local gun shop. Handloaded up a couple boxes of ammo and off to the range we went. I don't remember how many rounds it took to sight it, but the final 5 shot group off the bench at 100 yards was 1 1/16" center to center. I was overjoyed!!
Be advised these use no Marlin parts, it's a completely different design. Uses a through bolt to attach the stock, the extractor is totally different, and of course, like the Browning BLR the trigger rides with the lever.
While built as an economy rifle, they were designed pretty well, and being made out of adequate materials, and with reasonable quality too, they work and last decently. Look around at the various Gun Digest take down books, it's in one of them, and it will save you several hours on the reassembly of the trigger group.
Enjoy!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've had several of these in various configuration, straight and pistol grip, Mossberg, Western Field, New Haven name. All were good rifles. Havlin Sales and Numrichs still have parts available. I'm still looking for one in .35 Rem.

·
Super Moderator
24,959 Posts
Only big box store Marlin in 35 Rem that I know of is the J.C. Higgins/Sears Model 45. Found one on GB about 7 years ago and its been a very good shootin' rifle. Don't know if any of the other firearms manufacturers ever produced a big box store marked 35 Rem.

Reactions: Pereira

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Well I own a pair of store brand Marlins,
A Westerfield 30-30 on the left, and a JC Higgins 35 Rem. on the right.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've got a Revelation 207 made by Mossberg for Western Auto.
It's a straight grip saddle ring carbine. It has an 18" barrel.
I don't remember how much I paid for it at a now closed local pawn shop, but it wasn't much.
It was missing the saddle ring, but I picked up one of those on flea bay.
It's no Marlin, but I like it none the less

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It’s a neat rifle. Being a primarily Marlin guy (I have a couple Winchesters too) the trigger traveling with the lever is interesting. However, the operating system, and how it essentially almost drops out completely in one piece, is neat. It has a place here even if my Marlins will always be what follow me to the woods during hunting season. We’ll see how it shoots.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Picked it up the other day. Looks and handles nice. Shoulders well. But sadly it doesn’t feed. Appears the lifter doesn’t angle rounds up high enough to chamber. Requires tilting the rifle just right to feed. Should have stuck with my Marlins I guess. We’ll see if the seller makes it right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts