Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just inherited a Westernfield Model 14, bolt action 410 and a J.C Higgins, model 103.229, .22-cal made for Sears & Roebuck that I think are from the 40's/50's, maybe earlier (neither have serial numbers). A buddy of mine said he believes they were made by Marlin for the particular badges in question. Is that true or just another case of Marlin-colored glasses? ;) Certainly the stocks look Marlin-esque.
Any thoughts on these makes/models?
DryMan

·
Super Moderator
15,828 Posts
Looks like the .22 bolt is a Marlin model 81 ( good shooter) unfortunately I don't see any reference to the shotgun.
Added in: according to Brophys book, Marlin did make a bolt action 410 single shot shotgun; Model 59 (1959-1965), Model 60G Glenfield
(1960-1964), and Model 61G Glenfield (1962) but no listing for a Model 14 in 410 ga. Mr fixit
Here's a link to the reference section.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,70591.0.html

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mr. Fixit. According to another listing I saw the Westernfield was made by Savage, though I'm not sure when.

Any idea of the date of manufacture on the .22? Couldn't find a serial on the gun anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
15,828 Posts
And you're not going to either, they weren't required back then. This is straight out of Col. William Brophys' book Marlin Firearms A History of the Guns and the Company that made them. If you need to enlarge the pics/print, hold the Ctrl button down and press the + sign button (for bigger) - for less or use your scroll on the mouse. Mr fixit

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks gents! Looks like the .22 is from around '39 or so. Older than I thought! I'd reckon the 410 is about the same. Great info. It's too bad that Hoosiers list doesn't have date ranges as well. Good resource though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts