Marlin Firearms Forum banner

WesternField 740A

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Mr Fixit 
#1 ·
Is there any existing information as to how many WesternField 740A's were made?

#5 ·
Well, are we a little edgy?? I meant did anyone have an educated guess as to the production numbers. I would appreciate not being snapped at for asking a civil question.

#6 ·
Whoa.....come on guys calm down lets all take a deep breath!!! Bedrock look in our reference library you might can find something there if not try doing a google search and see if you can name up with anything!!!!Hope you can find what you are looking for Bedrock and let us know if you turn up anything!!!!

#7 ·
I've been looking for this info also, but alas, I haven't found anything. Wonder why Glenfield's have production numbers in Brophy's book, but not for others? I'm sure the Marlin factory has production figures, but who now to ask? I at least know of a few Westernfield's on this board----that's a start.
Del

#9 ·
Bedrock, good luck rooting around for info on the Westernfield. I am sure there must be some info on the net. I don't know if it will include the number produced. More importantly shoot that bad boy and enjoy owning it.

#11 ·
Montgomery Wards. Model 33 = 336

Model 740 = 336 I am presuming this is a A model.

Travis is right not much for records kept for store brands, given not much info on Montgomery Wards now days.

#12 ·
Swany: I am not sure if all 740A's are the same configuration as mine. Mine is a 30-30 made in 1967. It has a full length magazine, carbine-style front sight, oiled walnut stocks, a relatively slim forend with a forend cap, sling swivels, and a red recoil pad. The fit and finish are excellent. The walnut is not fancy, but is a good grade.

#13 ·
Just found one at the gun store today. Fit/finish/stock is as good or maybe a bit better than my 336 35 Rem. Going home with me tomorrow...

#14 ·
oscar: Nice find. All the ones I have been able to examine have been finished very nicely. There is nothing cheapened about them at all. A friend has one made in 1977, and it has the fanciest wood I have seen on any standard 336 or store brand. Enjoy yours in good health.

#15 ·
Bedrock said:
Swany: I am not sure if all 740A's are the same configuration as mine. Mine is a 30-30 made in 1967. It has a full length magazine, carbine-style front sight, oiled walnut stocks, a relatively slim forend with a forend cap, sling swivels, and a red recoil pad. The fit and finish are excellent. The walnut is not fancy, but is a good grade.
Bedrock, you just described my 740A, to a "T" - right down to the year model.

Hope you find info on how many were made.

#16 ·
Bedrock said:
oscar: Nice find. All the ones I have been able to examine have been finished very nicely. There is nothing cheapened about them at all. A friend has one made in 1977, and it has the fanciest wood I have seen on any standard 336 or store brand. Enjoy yours in good health.
Was pulling the 22 I am going to swap it for from the safe, and in the process, moved the 35 Rem around. I guarantee that the 740 has a nicer set of wood on it than the 336! Really buying it for a cheap lever plinker and to play with cast bullets in it! Would love to cast and dump them out to 200 (+?) yards. I love the kentucky elevation process! Huge upside is that I can get factory ammo CHEAP, and get the brass, AND dump a deer or hog, etc, any day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.