Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got another Westernfield yesterday to replace the 1967 model I foolishly sold last year. It was about 95% but so is this 1969 model I have now.

I placed a WTB in the sell/trade section here for a Westernfield and BuffaloBob (Thanks Bob!) told me about one at GunBroker.
Got in touch with the seller and asked a few questions, then went ahead and hit the "buy it now" button for $369.00
Didn't want it to get away and was willing to pay a little more b/c these rifles are kinda rare.... and I like em alot.

I cleaned the bore and action, oiled the blueing and stocks to bring back the shine.
This action is tight and bore looks like it hasen't been shot much.

Loaded up 25 rounds Hornady 170 grn. bullets and hope to shoot it tomorrow.
Glad to get another Westernfield back in the stable.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Nice pick up, congrats!

Reactions: IMR

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
:congrats: SWEET!! Glad you found one. Im a little jelous, 69 is my Birth Year. I couldnt pass that up if I saw it.

Hayden.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Nice! Very Nice!!!

Mop

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I really like the looks of the rifle. Congrats!

·
Registered
17 Posts
You don't have to worry 1969 is also a nice rifle. I have Western field 780 Bolt Action Rifle for $96 and it consist of Mauser-type action, Monte Carlo stock with cheek piece, checkered p.g and white line spacers ,1"sling swivels gold bend around front ramp, folding rear sight. 22" bbl., 42" over-all Cals 243,308.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Good lookin rifle! :congrats:Let us know how it shoots.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thanks for posting pictures, I was not sure what the Western variation looked like. I assume birch stocks, I like the non checkered look.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Very nice rifle congrats on getting it you got it at a good price too!!!

·
Super Moderator
25,165 Posts
I think the Marlin Western Auto rifles had walnut stocks--just like my Sears Model 45 in 35 Rem. All Model 45s I have seen have walnut stocks but no Marlin bullseye.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
I like that gun dovetail front sight and end cap fore end. Now if they only would have mounted that mag tube via dovetail.

Nice clean gun, I like it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate the complements.

Three of the store brand Marlins I know of - Sears: JC Higgins or Ted Williams model 45, Western Auto: Revelation, and the Montgomery Ward: Westernfield model 33 and 740 were all made with walnut stocks. There's another one called Foremost, that might of been made for JC Penny.
The Revelation had a barrel band forearm, with the Sears and Westernfield having end cap forearm stocks, dovetail front sights with flat top rear, no pistolgrip cap or white line spacers. They also didn't have the mar-shield finish, which I'm glad of.
The Westernfield 336's came with a factory butt pad and sling swivels.

I agree Swany, it would of been better if the mag tube was dovetail mounted, to do away with the front barrel band.

I loaded 25 rounds - Win. brass, Win. LRP, Hornady 170 grn. Interlock, 32.5 grn. Varget powder. This load gave me an average of 2150 fps. out of my other 67 Westernfield.

Went to the range today to see how it shoots. Off the bench at 25 yds. the first shot was several inches high and to the right. I taped the front sight a little to the left and got the windage right. Moved the elevator down all the way but shots were still too high, so I removed the elevator completeley. Fired two rounds and they were dead center of the bull. Moved the target out to 50 yds. and shot four more. One in the bull and three to the left, 1/4 to 1/2 an inch.

I'll experiment more with powder grain weight to find the most accurate load.
The trigger is not bad, and breaks clean - probably around six pounds, so I'll probably do a trigger job.

I like this rifle!

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Congrats to you on finding such a nice one! She looks to be in great shape for her age, wish I could say that about me.:(:biggrin: DP

Reactions: IMR and Ret_Eng

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
IMR, very nice Westernfield/Marlin you got yourself there. Just make sure you hang on to this one, they may be harder to find in the future. Nice lookin metal and wood, congrats, ya did good. Take care, John.

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
Nice lookin Westernfield you have there, :tee:I also like the store brand models I have a J.C. Higgins in .35Rem.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I think the Marlin Western Auto rifles had walnut stocks--just like my Sears Model 45 in 35 Rem. All Model 45s I have seen have walnut stocks but no Marlin bullseye.
I was surprised to find they used walnut in these store brands. Makes it better IMHO. I wish my Glenfield came with walnut.

·
Premium Member
6,515 Posts
IMR, I have a AD(1968) like your with the same buttpad. I'm guessing the buttpad is factory.
Does yours have a P stamped on the barrel,instead of a JM? I also have a JC Higgens model 45 in .35REM T (1960) with a P stamped on the barrel.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
marlin54

1 - 20 of 39 Posts