Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Homemade cylinder quick release, holster and sheath...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
New deer stand

New deer stand I just built from plans. Called the Grand Stand. Plans were cheap, saved me a ton of money in wasted wood, time, etc. Caulked seams, plexiglass windows, carpeted floor, curtains, comfy chair, shelves...coat hooks. Probably leave an old blanket. I've done some fairly tough hunting, but this will be a nice place to hang out on chilly, nasty days.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,242 Posts
Very nice work ! Here in Central NY, those box blinds with a small propane heater are almost a necessity, especially during our late December muzzleloader season.

Reactions: 94win30wcf

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, the guy who did the plans suggested putting a small propane heater inside for those cold, late season days, as well as a few lighters (in case one goes bad) and...paper towels. That way if the windows fog up, you aren't wetting your shirt sleeves with window cleanup.

Sorry the pics came in sideways, they were 'right side up' when they left my phone, not sure what happened there.

Reactions: shawlerbrook

·
Registered
980 Posts
New deer stand I just built from plans. Called the Grand Stand. Plans were cheap, saved me a ton of money in wasted wood, time, etc. Caulked seams, plexiglass windows, carpeted floor, curtains, comfy chair, shelves...coat hooks. Probably leave an old blanket. I've done some fairly tough hunting, but this will be a nice place to hang out on chilly, nasty days.
Nice job mommicked! How high a pedestal are you putting it on?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now, the stand is sitting on the edge of a corn field on 4 cinder blocks. I plan on making a small frame to set it up on, same height as the bed of the truck (easy to do that way) but had planned on hunting it on the ground for this season. I'm a NC coastal native, and should've given more thought to tieing it down, it very well might blow away this weekend if I don't do something, and I have tons of other things to do with the storm approaching. Maybe just a boat anchor and some stout rope? A lot going on suddenly with the storm heading literally right at us. Some hunting seasons hurricanes let us alone, other times, they mess the whole season up royally. Go away Flo! Lol

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really like that cylinder quick release.
Thank you! You're honestly the first person to see it and tell me that. I thought it looked like something that 'belonged' on the gun, with a period correct appearance. I made it as a prototype out of 1/4" aluminum. I used a drill press, band saw, belt sander to thin it down to .20" thick, and a file for final fitting. It was a fun project that I thought would flop, but went off without a hitch. The hard part was finding the right spring. It's a tiny bugger to fit inside the 0.20" thick material, it's a really thin, small coil spring. I shaped the forward area to look like something from the 1800's era, and darkened the whole thing with a sharpie, at least until I can order some Birchwood Casey 'Aluminum Black'. I'd like to go back and reproduce it from steel or brass as they didn't have aluminum back then, but aluminum is light and functional for now.

I'd love to make a few more of them, but I'm afraid I might be infringing on some patents if I made them for sale. Here's a link to an item very similar in performance, but not nearly as nice looking (in my opinion). https://www.midwayusa.com/product/8...ons-1858-remington-cylinder-pin-quick-release

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
'Florence' just relocated it for me. It knocked the stand down and blew the roof right off of it, and the roof was well secured, I thought. I was going to stand it back upright, but there was a 200 lb bear about 150 yards from it, feeding. Since it wasn't concerned by my truck, I decided that... it was getting late, and I could just wright that stand next time I got down there! Lol

Reactions: Vooch
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.