Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
001.JPG On the side of the receiver it says WESSON AND HARRINGTON but it's an Harrington and Richards receiver and action and on the barrel it says Buffalo Classic. It is a 45/70 and the fella I bought it from told me he never shot anything but lead out of it. So is this rare or did H&R have somebody else help make these rifles?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
That was a stock rifle that H.&R. made. They also made it in 38-55. There are some videos on U-Tube of folks shooting them. One or two have had the chambers lengthened to make a 45-120.

·
Super Moderator
11,701 Posts
I nearly bought one of those when CDNN was blowing them out for a couple hundred bucks. Cool gun, how does it shoot?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I nearly bought one of those when CDNN was blowing them out for a couple hundred bucks. Cool gun, how does it shoot?
It shoots the 405 cast lead bullets with a stout charge of IMR 3031 powder to about 1.5-2 inch groups at 100 yards with peep sights and a Williams Fire Sight on the front, it would probably do better if I had younger eyes.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have the H&R of this. It’s my understanding that they are were making them both simultaneously but not sure of that. Different factories maybe? Never have understood they’re relationship.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
The Wesson & Harrington Buffalo Classic and Target were made 1992-1999 according to Goforth's book, no different than H&R 1871 BC and Target, made in the same Gardner MA factory.

Tim

http://buffaloclassic.tripod.com/

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
A really long story on the find, both pistol and ammo, which is probably worth more than the pistol!

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
not sure if it is rare but it sure is purdy, and looks like it would be fun to shoot, uh you know being a 45-70 and all.............

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not sure if it is rare but it sure is purdy, and looks like it would be fun to shoot, uh you know being a 45-70 and all.............
Not to bad to shoot, unless,,, ya stoke it up with some 405gr.,ers and a stout charge of powder, then it gets angry and kicks ya. lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I owned one, was a well made rifle and shot Very good! I had a redfield 2 3/4 scope on it and killed a whitetail Doe at 200yrds! I shot the rifle alot and knew how to hold a bit over her!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Not to bad to shoot, unless,,, ya stoke it up with some 405gr.,ers and a stout charge of powder, then it gets angry and kicks ya. lol.
Yeah! I started with some 405s and quickly found that the metal butt plate could hurt ya.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts