Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I can't imagine a finer vintage than my 1952 336 SC in the bold 35 Rem. Hints of acorns and fallen leaves with a touch of Hoppes #9. It really pops when the cap is busted.

·
Premium Member
6,780 Posts
I have several Marlins from the 50's and 60's, and they are all very high quality.

·
Super Moderator
25,671 Posts
My favorite Marlins were made between the 1940s to 1970s. Everyone has their opinions on when Marlin was really hitting their stride.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I guess it is like buying anything new or used: do so research, inspect and go from there. I guess this could be considered the research part. But, an inspection will tell a truer story. If you can shooting, do. Like test driving a vehicle, it gives a better idea of how the product is. As for the best years of Marlin, I have no idea. I like to think that things improve with time, due to experience and advances in technology. For me, I would think some of the later ones made be better than the earlier ones. Than, I only owned later years: 2016 and 2019, which are more machine made than handcrafted. If you are a collector and looking for a work of art, the earlier ones would probably be a better choice. I am not a collector, so the newer ones have worked for me. But in about 50 years or so (hopefully, my grandkids will be using them), they might will be considered collectibles.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I can't imagine a finer vintage than my 1952 336 SC in the bold 35 Rem. Hints of acorns and fallen leaves with a touch of Hoppes #9. It really pops when the cap is busted.
I have one of these perfect Marlins and it even has beautiful wood. I have always felt very fortunate to have it. Another excellent Marlin is my first year 1972 1895 in 45-70. A third is my 1966 Mountie .22. These are my favorite rifles and I think are from some of Marlins best years. I have eleven.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I read the insider's take on how things were at Marlin, and we all know the Remington chapter. But were there years that were known to really stand out for the best quality?
1950's or before were the best in my book. They had the most hand fitting. The 60's and 70's are good and even the early 80's. After 84, you have to buy a safety delete kit to return the gun to original design.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve_In, so well said.

There was an auction for an extremely well worn 35 Rem., complete with missing finish and pitted lever and scratched wood, dripping with with history and character, and man do I wish I bought that one.

No use for new shiny rifles with just a few weeks of history.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I like 1980 and older. In other words rifles made in a time when companies and their employees took more pride in what they were making instead of the company's main concern being to make a product as cheaply as they could (and pushing the employees to much) and sell it for as high a price as the market would bear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sixteen years ago, when I turned 50, my wife asked me if there was anything special I'd like for my birthday. I said I'd always wanted a Marlin 39A .22 rifle. A good friend of mine had one when we were kids growing up is southeastern Ohio.
I was able to order one from Outdoor Sportsman in Stockton, California and I really love it. I don't shoot it all that much as I'm a clay target shooter for the most part but the other day I took it out to the range and did pretty well with the standard iron sights at 50 yards!
Circle Astronomical object Pattern Art Recreation

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I have several of the older model 1895's but the SBL I bought a cew years ago is of great quality and shoots dead on with the load I developed. If you are looking I would say to inspect anything and go over it with a fine tooth comb before you make any decision.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wood Shotgun Air gun Hardwood Gun barrel

My favorite Marlin I own is a 1891 Side load Deluxe.22. 100% original numbers matching with original bore. This old rifle is a tack driver. For a 130 year old rifle to still function as smooth as silk and the action is still tight. Amazing craftsmanship from back in the day. All of my old Marlin .22's are from the 1890.s up to the mid 40's. All of them function like new.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
View attachment 866960
My favorite Marlin I own is a 1891 Side load Deluxe.22. 100% original numbers matching with original bore. This old rifle is a tack driver. For a 130 year old rifle to still function as smooth as silk and the action is still tight. Amazing craftsmanship from back in the day. All of my old Marlin .22's are from the 1890.s up to the mid 40's. All of them function like new.
Absolutely beautiful, needs a blank in the sight dovetail, then perfect !

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts