Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and had a blast! This gun is so much fun to shoot. I am very happy with the purchase on this 336RC. Went through two boxes of ammo.

My target for 100 yards. Not too bad considering my first time out and the scope is only a fixed 4x. I'm currently looking into purchasing a Vortex Diamondback 3x9 right now. Hopefully going out again this weekend and with a better scope to see if I can't zero this gun in at 100 yards and get smaller groups.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Work first at 50 yards. You want it to hit between 1" and 1.5" high at 50. You should be able to get 1" groups without much problem. Once you get it dialed in there move out to 100 yards just to confirm your groups. Only shoot 3 shot groups, this will give you a great indication of how well the gun is shooting.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started out at the 50 yard and had nice groupings above the target. Very small. I tried to go 1" above center.

But at the 100 yard range, I just couldn't see where exactly I was shooting on the paper. I just tried my best to aim towards the center of the black.

I think it will get a lot cleaner this weekend with a higher power scope and more tuning

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Well, that eye patch on your shootin' eye isn't helping you, either! ;D

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
If you have an opportunity buy a box of another brand of ammunition, or even another bullet weight. Most rifles will let you know what they like best. Save all your empties as one day you might get interested in reloading. Shenandoah

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shenandoah said:
If you have an opportunity buy a box of another brand of ammunition, or even another bullet weight. Most rifles will let you know what they like best. Save all your empties as one day you might get interested in reloading. Shenandoah
Not a bad idea. Right now I have 3 boxes of Rem. 170 grain coming out. But next time I might mix it up with some other stuff.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Try some of the orange targets with crosshairs then but your crosshairs over them and your dead center.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
ERock said:
Fill your hands you son of a b*tch! ;D
I got a chuckle out of that one too!

Erock, try a target with a smaller bullseye, aim small; miss small.

Where you shooting in Michigan? I shot here at the farm on Saturday afternoon, west side by Allegan.

Then ice and snow on Sun!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have that same scope setup on my 1894 but I have the scope base turned in the other direction. I love my weaver k-4x it fits the gun very well and I have 25 year old eyes so a fixed 4x at 100yds. is no problem for me. ;D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Capt Rick Hiott said:
The 170Gr Remington Core-Lokt did the best in my 336
That's what I'm shooting right now.

I will try all of your suggestions this weekend and let you know how it goes. Huge thanks!

Roan444, I'm shooting at Bald Mountain in Lake Orion. Nice range

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Before your next outing I'd do a super thorough bore cleaning to get all the old copper fouling out and get it all sparkly ;D...the very carefully and and consistantly torque your screws in the bands and such...to give yourself the best chance for tiny groups....a good 2x-7x scope mounted nice and low will help you tremendously...none of those see thru iron-sighter mounts that make the deer laugh themselves to death

·
Registered
584 Posts
The deer might think there funny,,,but the hogs dont......I had a 50mm Nikon on mine with those see thru iron-sighter mounts. I never had a problem with them.

This is when I first got the Nikon scope. I started shooting at the 3" target on the bottom right, my last shot was the target on the bottom left at 100 yards. Dead center. This was in a Lead Slead.
You can also see how bad the hornady's were off while shooting at the bottom left target.

And yes,,,those are .45ACP holes from my Glock at 100 yards. (The paper is 18" wide)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sometimes it helps to black tape an "X" on a white sheet, at 100 yards you can position your crosshairs exactly on the X and try to avoid any movement, shoot safe Ron in FL

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
ERock said:
I started out at the 50 yard and had nice groupings above the target. Very small. I tried to go 1" above center.

But at the 100 yard range, I just couldn't see where exactly I was shooting on the paper. I just tried my best to aim towards the center of the black.
Seeing the center of the black target is hard for me some times, so I picked up some of those 3/4" bright colored coding stickers in the office supply area of wal-mart and put one on the center and it helps seeing it at 100 yards. Try it.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
To Capt Rick...though they are not my preference,..I can argue with success and its obvious with your smiling face and 3 ham cookouts....let me know when you'dlike me to comeon down to help you thin the herd : )

·
Registered
584 Posts
I would invite you ,,,but I hunt with a buddy on his private land.

(About the mounts) I know its not the best way to do it,,but I didn't have a problem with it last season.
I sold the gun, but still have the scope that Ill be putting on a Marlin 45-70 for next season. Any recommendations on what kind of mounts to put on the 45-70?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts