Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will admit "1917" is the best movie I have seen in at least two decades.
Cinematography, greatest ever.
Special effects, outstanding.
Acting, believable.
Story, intense.
Ms Monte agreed with me, it is a "must see!"
PS, I will be buying the DVD when available.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I saw it last Saturday too. I was surprised because they seldom make epics like that anymore. My boys already knew but it was interesting when I reminded them they're great great grandfather was in the Bavarian cavalry in that war. They didn't merge with the Germans til 1919. Excellent film.

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Just put it on my list of things to do this Saturday. Thanks!

Reactions: Marlinjunkie

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I want to see it, but will wait until it comes out on DVD.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,963 Posts
Looking forewarn to seeing it with my son.

I saw Spielberg's Dunkirk and was disappointed. The incessant drum beat background noise, obvious computer gens, and finally the Spitfire, out of gas, and on a glide factor that went on and on like a lighter than air balloon.

I hope 1917 is more realistic.

AC

·
Premium Member
13,363 Posts
I seldom watch war films, but after watching the Trailer I think I'll see this one first chance I get.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
After seeing the remake of Midway, I'm a little reluctant to see any new war movies that take place in the past, present or future, but especially the past. Disney absolutely ruined the Star Wars franchise for me. Midway was a revisionist flick where the first 1/3rd of the movie was to "educate" the viewers under 30 about history they should have already known.

To anyone that has seen 1917, if you can verify that it does not have the stink of liberal revisionist Hollywood progressivism on it, and it's accurate to history, then I'll go see it. Otherwise, it's just an action flick loosely based on history.

·
Registered
22,786 Posts
After seeing the remake of Midway, I'm a little reluctant to see any new war movies that take place in the past, present or future, but especially the past. Disney absolutely ruined the Star Wars franchise for me. Midway was a revisionist flick where the first 1/3rd of the movie was to "educate" the viewers under 30 about history they should have already known.

To anyone that has seen 1917, if you can verify that it does not have the stink of liberal revisionist Hollywood progressivism on it, and it's accurate to history, then I'll go see it. Otherwise, it's just an action flick loosely based on history.
Its no B/S movie! see it.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I hope 1917 is more realistic.
I was hoping too until I saw the previews. The scene where the guys jump off that towering waterfall? What part of France/Belgium were they in?!? Ain't no waterfalls like that in that geography. The Spitfire glide scene in Dunkirk was actual pretty well done, and was possible for that plane. My only comment there was why didn't the pilot land it closer to the evac point and hop a ride with the rest6 of the evacuees. The latest Midway was a load of CGI trash.

·
Premium Member
13,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And nominated for TEN Academy Awards!

Reactions: Reload

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I saw it last Saturday too. I was surprised because they seldom make epics like that anymore. My boys already knew but it was interesting when I reminded them they're great great grandfather was in the Bavarian cavalry in that war. They didn't merge with the Germans til 1919. Excellent film.
I had a Great Grandpa that was in the Bavarian artillery,my dad still has his unit beer stein and porcelain pipe.Have to look at it and see what unit it was.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts