Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Went to a Funeral Today

561 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Triggerfinger 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So I went to a funeral today. I tried not to focus on death and my own mortality but found it next to impossible. We all know our time will come, obviously, but you don't think about it all the time. That would make life intolerable. Older folk will perhaps know, this is retirees corner after all, that as time goes by we lose friends, people we know. Like many here, I also knew some who didn't have the chance to grow old. That bugs me a great deal. So with one eye on my mortality and the other on those who weren't fortunate enough to make it as far as me, I ask what matters? What really matters? Perhaps its family, other people, helping others as best we can. Making a difference for the better, however small. There is more to life than eating, drinking, and TV.

#4 ·
I had to sign up for Medicare this spring, and have seen many people my age or younger succumb, some to latent diseases, some to neglect (didn't get that cough or spots checked out). Had some issues with leg and foot swelling and a pushy doctor. Got put back on diuretics (I know the location of every bathroom an hour in any direction!) and to go back to support socks. Swelling down allowing me to hit the gym. Have dropped 15 pounds and feeling better. Yes, you go sometime, but I've decided to not go quietly. Like Reload, I seem to be making more friends, but they're not all named Doctor. I think working on my health and being comfortable in my own skin and going all in for a promotion at work keeps me going.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
For me, I know the #1 thing is to know the Lord. God is good all the time even when things are bad. I know when I take my last breath here I will take my next with him! There is no fear of dying when you have a personal relationship with the creator...

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
For me, I know the #1 thing is to know the Lord. God is good all the time even when things are bad. I know when I take my last breath here I will take my next with him! There is no fear of dying when you have a personal relationship with the creator...
AGREED! When the day comes I'm going home!

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
My wife found a plaque that says when I stand before the Lord I can say I used all you gave me, that is after I slide in sideways & say what a ride...

#9 ·
All that anyone who has ever lived and will live is a wish to achieve happiness. That is the ultimate goal of every man and woman no matter what they do to attain it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.