Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After working a 20 hour Monday, I decided to treat myself and went to a gun shop that I’ve never been to in order to buy a Marlin 99 M1 that I saw on their website. When I got there, they had sold the gun over the weekend and didn’t take it off their website. I decided to browse their inventory, since I was already there. On the shelf was a Marlin 22 bolt action that I thought was new. Turns out it wasn’t. It was a 1998 Marlin 25MN that was in pristine condition. Even though I am partial to the tube fed Marlins, I wasn’t leaving there without it. $190 OTD seemed like a fair price for the condition the gun is in.

Gun Rifle Firearm Shotgun Trigger
Gun Firearm Rifle Shotgun Trigger
Material property Leather

·
Super Moderator
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice find and a good price, I found a similar 25mn a while back, think I gave $210 for it. Be careful those 22 mags tend to multiply. I think I'm up to six now.
I don’t have a clue about what type or grain ammo to start with. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
849 Posts
I don’t have a clue about what type or grain ammo to start with. Any suggestions?
I have tried CCI, Winchester, Federal, Aguila, Hornady, Amscor, and Fiocchi.
Both of my Marlin .22WMR rifles prefer CCI 40g TMJ ammo. The Fiocchi 40g TMJ, which I believe is made by CCI, usually comes in a close second.
For comparison, my CZ 455 Varmint .22 WMR, prefers the Winchester 40g Hollow Pt. ammo, and the Hornady 30g V-Max.
Every rifle is different, so you have to test as many types of ammo you can find to see what your rifle likes. This was a challenge for the last few years, with the ammo "shortages" making finding any kind ammo a real pain, but the supply and variety of ammo seems to be getting a lot better now.

I have a .22LR Glenfield 25 that I thought was a turkey until I found the right ammo for it. The only ammo that shot with any accuracy was SK Standard +. I had tried 21 different brands and types of ammo in it before I finally found what it liked.

Just because one Marlin likes a particular type of ammo, doesn't mean that the next Marlin will like the same thing. EVERY rifle is different and will have its own preferences. This is the "fun" of owning a new rifle, finding out what it likes.
Over the next month or so, I get to try 21 different types of ammo in the Golden 39A I just got earlier this month.

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
That is a good price on a 25MN with the deluxe stock. Looks identical to mine. Seems mine liked the 40 gr ammo best too. Once I got a Marlin 57M I've just about stopped shooting the bolt gun. But that 25MN would reach out and lay Mr. Bunny Wabbit down when he neared my garden, and it's right at 100 yards from my back deck. Squirrels too. The lever gun is just lighter and shorter and shoots as good or better. Congratulations!

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts
That is a good price on a 25MN with the deluxe stock. Looks identical to mine. Seems mine liked the 40 gr ammo best too. Once I got a Marlin 57M I've just about stopped shooting the bolt gun. But that 25MN would reach out and lay Mr. Bunny Wabbit down when he neared my garden, and it's right at 100 yards from my back deck. Squirrels too. The lever gun is just lighter and shorter and shoots as good or better. Congratulations!
I have the same experience--started with a '99 25MN until the wife adopted it (dang it!). I now shoot a '60 57M 22 Mag Levermatic. Both of those Marlins seem to like the 40 gr 22 Mag ammo the best---most of what I have stashed away is Winnie ammo. Both rifles like the stuff.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Went looking for a 22lr and came home with a 22 Mag
That's a GOOD DAY in anyone's book!!! CONGRATULATIONS on a steal!!!

DR

·
Registered
373 Posts
Great find! Funny how that happens. A few months ago I went to a LGS to look at a model 60 that was on their site. Got there and spotted a 2002 25MN. It came home for $185 otd. Crazy! I like the color of your stock better. Mine is more orange, and your checkering stands out more.

·
Registered
11,242 Posts
Nice score.
I was about to post in your other thread, then saw where you had picked something up.
Congrats
I was going to also give praise to the 25N, & MN's.
I have both and can't be more happier.
Both a re greater shooters.
My 25 MN likes the CCI's and Hornady 30 grs.
Have fun and enjoy.

RP

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Reactions: 10acres

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
I would have bought that one myself.
And heck, I already have two...LOL.
But you still need a 22LR, just because...so why not
look for a model 25 to go with that?

I also suggest CCI's....in std or the hi-velocity
version.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well good for you 10acres,.....glad you've come over to the 'magnum' side! You got a deal in that rifle I say.....and I don't think you will ever regret buying it. As has been stated,.....they are all different in their ammo likes and dislikes. Keep us posted on the results and enjoy your rifle.

·
Super Moderator
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gathering some different ammo and just mounted the scope last night. Hopefully I can work some range time in shortly. I thought about changing the trigger spring out like I did on my 981T, but the trigger seems fine for now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.