Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just happened to take a break and check Gb, what do you know, an older model ( don't know year yet) 444 with the Monte Carlo, straight grip stock, 2 band, 24" barrel. It was in my price range so I just hit the "Buy Now" button, no chance on sniped again,ha.
I think I am going to leave it straight and put a scope on it. It looks like it has nice grain, but honest use, could use a nice refinishing job I'm sure. NOW I can plan on using up my existing Nosler 250's and the Sierra 250 FMJFN (both discontinued now) After that, I can load up some "CWO Dawei approved" beartooth 290's. Hog heaven. I still remember looking at the ads as a teen of this rifle when they first came out. Very nostalgic. RD calls this model "the Original Sendero Rifle",ha. Will post better pics when I actually have it.
P.S. Just bought all 5 boxes of the same seller's 265 Lite mags! wooopeee!

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mr fixit said:
Congrats..if I read the book right that baby is from 1965 to 1971 and is a first variation. Looking forward to the pics. Mr fixit
It's somewhere right in there, I've been trying to get a 24" blue/walnut older rifle from last 18 months or so, off and on. got sniped several times, but it all worked out better I think. Since I found this Lite Mag ammo, think I'll wait until I have my other per loading projects done first ( 350 PDL in 45-70, firelapping my 300 RUM then later the 165GMX, 180 speerFN in .35 whelen, 150GMX in '06...)

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
That is a great find. Congrats.

·
Super Moderator
7,954 Posts
It one of the pre 1971 models IIRC in 1971 they started using the square lever.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm looking forward to it for sure. OK, I ordered some beartooth 290's , and later this spring I'll see how they shoot. Seems like this bullet would make a better 250yd elk load. Nice to have options!

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Arrived today! I took it over to my smith's shop. He will replace the factory forearm band pin with one he makes from a Model 700 ADL action screw/bolt. He did this for me on a early Model 1894 in 44 mag that kept breaking them. This is just a precaution. Am also replacing the hard factory rubber butt pad with a Limbsaver. Over all, the rifle looks really great, and I like the Monte Carlo butt for putting my eye up on the scopes plane. Getting jazzed!

·
Registered
41 Posts
preacher said:
Arrived today! I took it over to my smith's shop. He will replace the factory forearm band pin with one he makes from a Model 700 ADL action screw/bolt. He did this for me on a early Model 1894 in 44 mag that kept breaking them. This is just a precaution. Am also replacing the hard factory rubber butt pad with a Limbsaver. Over all, the rifle looks really great, and I like the Monte Carlo butt for putting my eye up on the scopes plane. Getting jazzed!
That stock is beautiful. It'll pair very well with some good glass. Congrats on the new gun.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I am putting my old Leupold 1.5x5 on it; light weight/clear glass/plenty of power for big game.

·
Super Moderator
7,954 Posts
Great find great rifle, I'd be interested in what your smith is doing to the barrel band. Post pics please!

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll take pics when he's done. The factory set up has the threads right behind the screw slot, the rest of the pin just sticks through the other side of the band. My smith cuts/rethreads the fatter action screw and opposing side of the band so it actually 'squeezes" the band together. This has two advantages (1) fatter screw(pin) and (2) no play at all. It worked like a champ on that light 1894 44 mag!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I like the monte carlo stocks. Owned a 70 model for a while. A friend owns a 69 model I've been trying to get for sometime. I hunted with it once last year and killed a deer with it. Good shooters for sure and that raised comb is nice with scopes.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally got to the range today. Cleaned barrel well, then zeroed it at 25yds with factory 240 Remington. Moved to 100 and got 1-125" groups at about 4" high. I cranked it down to hit about 2" high, then tried some handloads I had left over for a 444P. This is a Sierra 250 FPJ over 47gr H4198. Got 2" rounded group, pressures fine. I am going to start over at 45 gr and go up 1/5 gr @ time. I think this rifle is a keeper, and it really is nice using the Monte Carlo stock w/scope!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts