Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week or so ago people chatted (typed??) about renaissance wax and how great it is. Well, bought some and polished the guns and gotta say you all were dead on. Great stuff!

Curious what you all think is the best cleaning supplies or solvents, oils, combo's. Hickok45 shows off something on his channel (forget what it is).

So what's your cleaning go to?

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I'm a die hard Hoppes #9 user BUT... I have adopted s newer product a few years ago that I've been REALLY happy with and that is Frog Lube. As a lubricant AND rust inhibitor, I don't know of anything else that comes close. There are other good lubes and there are other good rust inhibitors but for doing both things with one product, I know of nothing that can equal it.

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
I use a few, Ballistol when cleaning rifles "indoors" Hoppes #9 and Butches bore shine when outdoors. Since all of my weapons are stored in the house I don't put anything on them to "prevent rust" specifically, I take everything out about every quarter and wipe them all down with Rem oil and call it a day. I do use things like CLP, and Lubraplate for my battle rifles but that's about it for me.

·
Registered
482 Posts
For cleaning i use hoppes #9 and the Otis cleaning oil. For protection I use a number of products. For where my o/u hinges and on the lever pivot (and where the lever rides in the bolt) I use moly grease cuz it's super sticky and stays put. For the barrels they get some Otis oil that is followed by a dry patch. For trigger groups they get tsi30i spray oil. And actions get the Otis oil just like the barrels. Outside metal and wood gets hit with gunstock wax (from the makers of truoil) twice a year and a light coat of tsi30i every time I clean the guns. I might have a problem but each product has its specific benefits and I try and match them to the best uses. That's my normal cleaning, if there is a specific thing I'm trying to accomplish I may modify that.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
+1 more for Hoppes #9 - I grew up on Hoppes #9 from the time I started watching Dad clean his guns and he eventually let me help and on to cleaning them myself and I still use it to this very day - I'm a big proponent of if aint broke don't fix it. (PS - I'll be 54 this year if that helps). I also recently discovered my wife's make-up applicators, they had a much tighter cotton pad than Q-tips (no stray fibers left behind) along with a pointy end for the tight nooks and crannies and a flat end for general areas.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/g...-applicators-great-little-cleaning-tools.html

Reactions: HunterBen

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
I've used #9 since I got my first rifle in the early 70's, heck fire, I remember using it on my BB gun before that, just mimicking dear old Dad. I have tried several "new & improved" products over the years, but am addicted to the smell of Hoppes. I have recently purchased a small can of Ballistol to try out. It's pretty darn hard to find around here for some reason. But so far I like it just fine.

I haven't tried any renaissance wax though. Is that a Brand or just a type of wax? Never too old to learn a new trick ............

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
I'm a die hard Hoppes #9 user BUT... I have adopted s newer product a few years ago that I've been REALLY happy with and that is Frog Lube. As a lubricant AND rust inhibitor, I don't know of anything else that comes close. There are other good lubes and there are other good rust inhibitors but for doing both things with one product, I know of nothing that can equal it.
Me too. In fact I discovered that Frog Lube in the barrel will prevent leading. Does on mine anyway.
The one thing I will not use Frog Lube for is the firing pin - I had issues with that.
Two things about Frog Lube which amount to following directions:
1 - apply on warm metal
2 - remove it all until you swear there's nothing there.

I still put a drop of synthetic motor oil on a swab and rub the slide rails with it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses everyone. May look into Frog Lube. I've been a Hoppes #9 user as well and have seen others using Ballistol and picked up a small can of it. Wanted to see what else is out there and as usual you all did not disappoint!

Kraynky - renn wax is the brand and not too expensive. There are nice youtube videos that show the difference between using renn wax versus oil etc. Leaves a nice sheen and protects against finger prints.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts