Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well who is spring bear hunting this year? What gun ammo combo are you going with? Its been 4 yrs since I shot a bear so I have forgotten what a pain it is to deal with them. I will be hunting the same area that I shot my last spring bear. I plan to use my guide gun that hasn't killed anything yet. Now the decision to use fed 300 grn factory ammo(6 boxes came with the gun) my load pushing 405 rem at 1600fps, or 430 ranch dog gc cast bullet or 365 ranch dog cast bullet loads with 5744 powder. The shot will be under 50 yards and I have to anchor the animal so it doesn't run down hill to far. decisions decisions

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I am envious as 5 yrs in a row no tag so still gaining points but not yet.
You have lots of good load options but I would use your own reloads just cannot beat the self satisfaction of using your own.
Good luck sir.

·
Banned
766 Posts
Spring bear season has been lengthened here (2 months), and starts in less then a month. 2 were seen out and about in the last few days. My 30-06 is going to stay loaded and will be in the truck regularly.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Well who is spring bear hunting this year? What gun ammo combo are you going with? Its been 4 yrs since I shot a bear so I have forgotten what a pain it is to deal with them. I will be hunting the same area that I shot my last spring bear. I plan to use my guide gun that hasn't killed anything yet. Now the decision to use fed 300 grn factory ammo(6 boxes came with the gun) my load pushing 405 rem at 1600fps, or 430 ranch dog gc cast bullet or 365 ranch dog cast bullet loads with 5744 powder. The shot will be under 50 yards and I have to anchor the animal so it doesn't run down hill to far. decisions decisions
I'd run you 430RD and not look back!!! Thats a good one bullet to do it All!!! Imho

Good luck
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
33 Posts
Supertodd,

Just received my Montana nonresident license Monday for the hunt from April 15 thru May 15, $120 for license and $5.00 conservation license (what ever that is). If I can talk sweet enough or fast enough I'm going to try the Madam for an August hunt as well. I will use my Classic 45-70 with Win factor load at 405 grains. I hope to get that anchor shot you speak of, but after hunting them several times I have some doubt there.

·
Registered
631 Posts
My brother Rob and I are headed up to Alberta in late May to hunt with Chris McKinnon's outfit.
Rob's taking his 336 .35 Rem. He's taken two bear with it in years past and is hoping to make this the year for the BIG one.
I've taken lots of bears with my shorty 1895 .45-70, but this time I wanna try something different and more difficult.
It's a two tag area and I'm planning on hunting with my bow and my Shiloh Sharps loaded with home-brewed black powder .45-70's.
Hoping for a blonde or cinnamon color phase.
Pretty excited.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
HPIM0058.JPG My last spring bear taken with 35 whelen, 250 grn partition, one shot. There are some huge tracks in the same area so I will be sitting and spending a lot of evenings in that area. In SW Oregon the spring tag is and over the counter tag- just a limited number so first come. I saw a huge Black phase last fall in this area that has to be pushing 400 lbs.

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
skipping this year...but come next May I'm headed to Canada! T-4 w/300gr "Ranchdog's"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts