·
Banned
457 Posts
very beautiful indeed, nice work

Reactions: marlin model 93

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Great work! :congrats: Looking forward to pictures of the finished product.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Great work! I can't wait to see it all finished up!

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Very nice!!!!

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
I've been working on a replacement stock on my Mountie on and off for quite some time now. Any tips? It seams like I sand and sand but the tang never seams to get any closer to the back of the cut out for it.

·
Administrator
23,797 Posts

·
Administrator
23,797 Posts
That for sure is the most tedious part of restocking. Went through it myself. I bless my tool & die education, some high speed die grinders and of course my dremel.

Caveat a dremel used with one hand instead of two can cause serious damage to any project or material it is applied to.

A good soft vise or clamping method so you can use two hands speeds up the process dramatically.

Good job, nice looking can't wait to see the finished project.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been working on a replacement stock on my Mountie on and off for quite some time now. Any tips? It seams like I sand and sand but the tang never seams to get any closer to the back of the cut out for it.
Well.. the one main reason for mine not getting closer---- the tangs are beveled..and the wood is cut straight,, top and bottom..need a good micrometer to measure both.... and around the hammer was a problem area too..

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
You did a great job! I know what you went through marlin model 93! I did the same on my 1893. When I got to the point you are at I used a belt sander to remove the bulk of all that extra wood. The rest by hand.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts