Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 1893 back from JES Reboreing Friday and finally made it to the range today. The first 3 shots at 50yds looked great. Nice little clover leaf at just under an inch or so. Kept shooting and slowly saw the group expand after 12 shots to about 3.3 inches. Figured that was ok for a start considering its a new bore, new loads and I never shot the rifle much when it was a 30-30.

So went to 100 yards and it all fell apart. The first 5 shot group, which was also the best was right at 8 inches. Got worse from there. A couple of guys with much more experience than me were trying to help and we noticed the barrel was leading up a lot. So the thinking is that as bad as it was leading right from the get go was making the groups get worse. I also think at least half the problem is probably me with the old buckhorn sights and even older eyes. I am working on that one though but have to save up some dough first.

Here is what I was using for loads and any advice would be appreciated.

Barrel is 26 inches. Bore is supposed to be .375 and Jesse says .376 lead bullets would be best but it should also shoot jacketed bullets just fine. I found some 260gr bullets from Hunters Supply that are supposed to be .376 but the 8 or 10 I miked were right around .377. It is a gas check bullet but without the gas check. I was told it should be good up to as high as 1700fps without the GC. I'm wondering if they could be too big and could that cause the leading?

The load is 30gr of 30-31 and bullet was seated to just touch the lands. From several sources that should be a fairly mild load at about 1400-1500fpx. One book even had it at just 1350fps.

Again I'm thinking better sights would help a lot but in the meantime I am going to try a couple of things. First slug the barrel just to confirm the .375 bore size. Then I have a box of 300gr Hornady jacketed bullets I am going to break the barrel in with. Then seat gas checks on the HS bullets and see what happens.

I was using the 30-31 just because I have a bunch of it and was hoping it would work here. But anyone feel free to give me some advice.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The same bullets leaded in my rebore also. Scrub the lead out(choreboy) and get your self some .378 or .379 bullets. With starline brass the .379 bullets chamber just fine in my rifle. Or just put the gas checks on, they will not lead checked. I shoot the largest bullets that will chamber easily and have not had leading problems. If you push them hard enough you you might have trouble without the gas checks.

Try them with 9-10gns of Unique I bet they won't lead at that speed.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there Hunterj50 -- Now that you have your rifle back you are gonna be in on a fun ride! I'd be taking a very close look at those bullets. I think rbyham hit the nail on the head by suggesting that you get gas checks on them before shooting them again. I've been told that a gas check design will work fine without them, but they never do. I'd advise you to get the lead loads sorted out before trying jacketed bullets. I'd second the 10 grains of Unique advice as well. Most of us shooting this caliber are finding that there is a vast array of available components and finding the perfect combination may take some looking and experimenting. Missouri Bullet Company (.com) makes a fine 240 grain plain base (mostly) bullet at a reasonable price. The 1300 to 1500 feet per second loads will sort themselves out for accuracy fairly soon. I've been experimenting with some faster loads, but I'm trying to get them to go farther without using so much of my rear sight settings. They too are coming along. Hope this helps in a general sort of way. Keep us posted on the progress. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
You might want to chrony that load. I tried 3031 in my 38/55 & expected 1300 +or- with 30 grains under a 260 but got about 1700. I believe it changed slightly at some point.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

Clean your bore down to metal with no trace of lead left in it. Then use a very tight patch covered with JB's bore cleaner and push that thru about 100 passes. Clean that out and shoot it with 10 gr. Unique and a good flat base cast bullet, Wind's suggestion of Missouri Bullets or LaserCast or several others will work. Gas check bullets without the gas check will cause problems, but usually a Dacron filler will allow you to shoot that bullet. The Dacron keeps the hot gas away from the base of the base the same as a gas check. It works for me.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey all, thanks for the tips. I have always used gas check bullets in everything I ever cast for or bought before and was a bit leary about going naked on this one. But like you Wind, I heard a lot of info that it was ok. I have already ordered the gas checks and am considering either a regular sizer for my Lube A Matic or trying the Lee sizer die. Never tried the Lee sizer and Alox but heard good things about it. Any thoughts?

rbyham said:
The same bullets leaded in my rebore also. Scrub the lead out(choreboy) and get your self some .378 or .379 bullets.
So the .378 or .379 bullets won't be too big with a .375 bore? Not too much pressure? If they will work there seems to be a much better selection of bullets and molds for .377+ bullets.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
If you can chamber them they work, I have used .380. As always start low and work your way up, but I have had no problems with standard 38-55 loads.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey again Hunterj50 -- Early on in the 38-55 journey I tried some Alox lubed bullets. They worked, but not what I thought was real well. I went back to pan lubing them and liked the results. With the Lee push through sizers, it doesn't get much better!! Those things work great and are cheap. Even the custom ones. Takes about six weeks to get a custom one, but between Wet Dog and mine, we have about everything covered. The three Ideal/Lyman lubersizers will remain in the storage box. Laser-Cast makes a .377" diameter bullet and their .380" is working very well in both my rifles. This caliber is a convoluted but enjoyable journey. Keep us posted. And keep asking questions, we'll try to help. Some things you'll have to just see for yourself, as all these rifles seem to have slightly different personalities. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Hunterj50
A couple of loads I have had some success with are:
7.2 grains of trailboss
21.0 grains of IMR 4198
Both of the above are under a 245 grain bullet, W-W primers and brass

26.0 grains of Re7 under a 255 grain gas check bullet, same primer and brass, with all rounds crimped in the crimp groove.
In my rifle all bullets were sized 379.
As always start a bit lower and work up. The IMR 4198 is at the listed starting load for that bullet weight and powder so I would think you would be OK starting there. I found in my 38-55 that as i upped the powder charge the groups opened up also. Keep us informed.
My distances have been limited to 200 yards, but worked well at that distance. Shenandoah

1 - 10 of 10 Posts