Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 1894CH today, my first lever gun... well my first long (ish) gun too. Cinco-Grande is closing them out around here in Oregon for $299. Has a smooth stock that is "hardwood**" rather than Walnut and hopefully no other downgrades (if anyone knows, shout). They also had the 44m, 45 and one of the 30-30/336s for the same price.

I've been reading the posts relating to the 357 and 44m and wanted to thank all for their opinions, really helped The "C" looks like a solid little ranch gun if I need to discuss fine points with the local 'yote and cougar population. Should also keep the neighbors fairly safe and be fun to plink with. Oh, and should my lovely bride get a hold of it, I'll only get shot once vs. 5-30 times with a semi-auto :cry: .

Anything I should do with the new carbine other than sight it in?

Thanks again...

Grug

** all walnut is hardwood, but all hardwood is not walnut... no relation to the vendor except as a customer. I don't know if they are closing out all marlins or just changing models... but wish I did.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think you'll like it a lot! The Big-5 chain runs those at about that same price, too. I have one of the 1894CS (walnut-stocked), and it's a good little carbine. Mine is kind of finicky about feeding 38's, but feeds 357's fine. Each gun is an individual in this respect. They seem to be quite accurate, and almost no recoil...a real pleasure to shoot! Check out this website for tips on smoothing the action, works good!
Also, if you're going to use it for CAS, just trim the mag spring just enough to get in the 10th 357. It will load a lot easier, and still be plenty strong to feed properly.

Enjoy!

http://marauder13.homestead.com/irons.html

·
Registered
496 Posts
You did good. The rifle is an excellant value. The only difference is like you said the wood. All else being the same. Parley

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ringo Steele said:
I think you'll like it a lot! The Big-5 chain runs those at about that same price, too.

Thanks Ringo... Will tak a look at the link. BTW Cinco-Grande...umm...is Big-5 :wink:

Grug

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I saw those at our Portland store, and contemplated buying one, but then I remembered I like the old ones! They sure are a great buy at the price!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Close to home

marlinman93 said:
I saw those at our Portland store, and contemplated buying one, but then I remembered I like the old ones! They sure are a great buy at the price!
Mine came out of the Tigard store... Looked for an experienced one, but couldn't find any for what I wanted to pay. Took it out over the weekend, seems to shoot real well, at least better than I do :?

Grug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts