Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me and a friend were debating if a 30-30 could put a whole thru some steel

we made our own spinner target, out of 1/8 inch steel plate

i told it would without a problem, he said it wouldnt, just put a dent in it....then went on to explain it will stop a .223 from a ar15..blah blah blah

anyway i said these old guns pack more punch then they get credit, and gave him 5 bullets to shoot

at about 65 yards, hollow points blew right the the steel, and not just barely made it either, the steel plate never started swinging, it was like a hot knife thru butter

lets just say he has a little more respect for the lever guns now....

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Next thing you knows yuor buddy will want him one of those wimpy 30-30s!!!!I guess that kind of verifies if it will go thru 1/8 inch steel it will go thru a deer and not bounce off!!!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Better take a picture of that and send it to Guns & Ammo....cuz if it don't say 'Magnum' they still think it will bounce off deer.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
That's ok - I remember way back when nobody thought a 5.56 wouldn't penetrate steel either. And I was very skeptical until I personally shot a round right thru a 1/4" (as I recall) plate of cold rolled steel! Made a quick believer outta me!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
at about 65 yards, hollow points blew right the the steel, and not just barely made it either, the steel plate never started swinging, it was like a hot knife thru butter
What kind of hollow points were you shooting?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
to be honest with you, i dont know, i get my 30-30 custom loaded, 7.50 per 20 rounds

he did tell me they are 110 grain, he reduced the powder by 8%....

i suppose i can find out for sure, but i do know they are are 110

loaded for woodchucks.......KA_BOOM

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
It's funny they will shoot through steel, but they bounce off deer. Maybe folks are using too heavy a bullet.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
peacem8kers: haha no, personally i have not had that problem yet, but now I know.. they are not safe behind steal

halwg : your not the first person to tell me that people think 30-30 rounds bounce off deer.....is this some kind of rumor, i have never heard that before today, now its mentioned 2 times in 1 thread

wierd

·
Registered
451 Posts
Heck, everyone knows old cartridges can't take down modern game, they're lots tougher now because of the Darwinian laws, the survivors of the past were the toughest, that's why you need a cartridge designed in the last 20 years at best, and it's gotta do at least 3000 fps, and it's gotta operate at pressure levels of at least 50,000 psi, and it's gotta cost as least $850 for the rifle, and $49 for a box of cartridges, so you can't shoot enough to get practise in actual hunting conditions, can't become a decent offhand shot, and you need a $900 moon scope from Europe because the kill zone on modern game is lots smaller because of that Darwin thing again. So yes, 30-30's must bounce off deer now days. Besides I kinda like run-on sentences too.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
Y'all ortuh have y'all's mouth washed out with soap, y'all. ;D ;D

Th' only time a .35 is a'gonna bounce off'n a deer crittuh is, after it goes through the first two, it jus' might tuh bounce off'n th' third one. An' maybe not even then. That's fer dang sure, y'all. ;D ;D

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
o be honest with you, i dont know, i get my 30-30 custom loaded, 7.50 per 20 rounds

he did tell me they are 110 grain, he reduced the powder by 8%....

i suppose i can find out for sure, but i do know they are are 110

loaded for woodchucks.......KA_BOOM
What sort of groups are you able to get at 50 yards with a 110 grain bullet? I have always heard that the 150 grain and larger sized bullets group the best out of a 336 30-30. Have you shot at 100 yards? Just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well at 50 yards i can hit a pop can standing up over and over again, groups are decent, not great, but i never got a sandbag out and really tried for tight groups

as for 100 yards, never tried so i couldnt tell ya

if it can hit a pop can at 50 yards, it will hit a woodchuck, so thats all i need it to do

soryy i cant help you

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
mrmarlin said:
peacem8kers: haha no, personally i have not had that problem yet, but now I know.. they are not safe behind steal

halwg : your not the first person to tell me that people think 30-30 rounds bounce off deer.....is this some kind of rumor, i have never heard that before today, now its mentioned 2 times in 1 thread

wierd
I'm guessing you haven't been reading the gun magazines ;D

If a .357mag fired from a rifle is capable of a pass through shot on a deer at the same range, I wouldn't bet against a 30-30 which has more powder and a heavier boolit ::)

·
Registered
55 Posts
What really gets me is that the same magazines have all published articles about 30-30's being unsuitable for home defense because of overpenetration (I.e. the bullet will go thru your walls).....
Everyone has an opinion on the 30-30, it just breaks down to those who class out old technology for the latest spin on the new hotness....

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Brian, is starting to write, like I talk ;) But the man knows a good round when he shoots one ;) Animals getting tougher? could be,seen a few dead deer beside totaled new trucks.But Im a thinking, its the trucks thats got weaker.Hey Gater,sometimes,once in a blue moon a 35 will bounce off the second deer. But its rare, and only then if its a John Deer ;D Yall boys take care. And dont believe everthing you read. I think humpty dumpty didnt fall, he was pushed ;D Gunrunner,,Team 35.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts