Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a member of the 38-55 club, this showed up today -

1893.jpg

Traded my 1949 336A in 30-30 plus some 5.56 ammo for it. It's a 1893 with octagon 26" barrel rifle built in 1894, the tang is not marked with the model but drilled and tapped for a future MVA. :) Wood is decent but shrunk and has a few slivers missing, it'll get new lumber in the future. Bore has strong rifling as seen through the heavy dust in it, time to clean it. I'm guessing it hasn't been shot in years and years. I have exactly 20 pieces of new Winchester brass and a few hundred 379 and 381 slugs that came with it. Guess I'll slug the barrel and go from there.

Can't stop doing this - :biggrin:

B

·
Banned
457 Posts
SWEEET congrats

Reactions: bbri4570

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
nice lookin' rifle

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
I really don't want a .38-55, I really don't want a .38-55, I really don...darn you guys.:hmmmm: Nice rifle! Congrats and enjoy:tee:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Very nice Brian. I know, I'll get on it. Steve

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Congrats Brian on that old beauty, pretty smooth deal you pulled off there. eh

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
NICE!! I wouldn't change a thing on that Ol'Girl, she looks Great As Is! :tee:

She's Already Gussied Up, She only needs fed and She's Ready to Dance.... :marchmellow:

Enjoy
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really don't want a .38-55, I really don't want a .38-55, I really don...darn you guys.:hmmmm: Nice rifle! Congrats and enjoy:tee:

That's pretty much how it went with me, and you see how well I resisted!

Regards,

B

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NICE!! I wouldn't change a thing on that Ol'Girl, she looks Great As Is! :tee:

She's Already Gussied Up, She only needs fed and She's Ready to Dance.... :marchmellow:

Enjoy
BloodGroove4570
I agree, I'm primarily a "shooter" vs. a "collector" so she'll soon be dancing at the range. Dialing her in and finding a load is job #1, but then if I have some spare time, making her shine wouldn't hurt either.

Regards,

B

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats Brian on that old beauty, pretty smooth deal you pulled off there. eh
It was a nice deal for all involved. Guy wanted something Marlin that was VERY accurate, that was not run of the mill, and that he could buy cheap factory fodder for. I offered up my 1949 336A in 30-30 (a shooter for sure, not a collector) and some 5.56 ball that I've been sitting on for years. Once I added enough ammo, He said okay. In the end I think we both did fine and ended up with something we each wanted.

I'm looking forward to the 38-55 journey, as it will probably test my reloading skills.

Thanks again for the kind words,

B

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Happy for you, Brian. Beautiful old firearm. Looking forward to seeing what you do with her as you "re-dress" with purdy new wood.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Man I'm jealous!! Congrats!!

·
Banned
651 Posts
It's a Beauty!!! Enjoy

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Congratulations Brian. I knew it wouldn't be long before you had one in yer hot little hands. Hopefully we can get together soon so I can see her up close.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
BB,

Since we didn't see all the pictures and 1894 is a pretty old date, does the barrel show special smokeless steel on it?

John

1 - 20 of 57 Posts