Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
look at a 35 Rem because of the weak ballistics reported by the manufacturers for their stock ammo.......should have known they were "soft charging" this round........now that I am considering hand loading, the 35rem seems to fit my need for a mid caliber round...all the ballistics data on handloads have sold me.......I am now looking actively for a well maintained 35........I assume that a good model with deep cut grooves would be better for handloading if using hardcasts....is it safe to assume this, and is this type of rifling better on heavier jacketed rounds. I will probably play with spire point bullets in this caliber(Iknow...2 rounds only.....1 in the chamber and 1 in mag.) thanks for all the data....ps.. this is why I chose the 7mm WSM over all the others...they were definetly softloading this caliber to gain interest in the 270wsm and not lose interest in the 300wsm, federal proved me right as the 7mm wsm ammo they are producing equals the 300 win.mag in all aspects...so it shouldn't surprise me when you all are getting the results in the 35rem...thanks again

G

·
:) Churchillman,

I find it very odd that the 35 rem is so popular on this site. I guess it's where you live. The 30/30 is much more popular in my neck of the woods. Believe me, I would pick up a .35 lever gun quick if I got a good buy on one. That would fit right between my Marlin 30/30 and .44mag but I'd rather have a 7-30 waters as I'm partial to the 7mms.

You're the first one I've heard of that says they're soft loading the WSM's. Most complain of sticky bolt lift and other pressure signs. I've always thought they hot loaded the WSMs because they could using undersize (.550") brass (mine's got the expand over .554" before the F/L die will bring it down any). I have a A-Bolt in 7WSM and only bought one box of shells with it because of the high price, but quickly bought 150 WW brass with dies and such to load my own. And I will admit that I can get more velocity easily with my handloads than the new Winchester 140grn CTBT that I bought with the gun. I've had mine almost 2 years now and am very happy with it. You bring up an interesting point about hyping the 270WSM. But you know your pressure is too high when your primers start falling back out. BM

Bill

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
The Microgroove is the equal of "Ballard" or standard rifling if you know how to fit lead bullets to it. In some respects it is superior to standard rifling with lead bullets, as the total grip on the bullet is greater. Yes, the Microgroove style has shallower grooves but there are more of them. Microgroove is at its best with all body bullets as opposed to bore riders, but the RCBS 205 FN works well in both my .35 Microgroove Marlins and it is a bore rider. I would suggest sizing to .360 if your mould will cast a bullet that large. My RCBS mould throws .3595" bullets when bullets are cast of wheelweights with a little tin. That's about right. Despite the information given in several Lyman reloading manuals, Microgroove handles bullets cast of unhardened wheelweights very well and does not need to be limited to 1600 fps as they suggest. It works up to 2100-2200 fps for me, and others report good results up to 2400 fps.

Here's the ONLY secret to getting the Microgroove to shoot lead: Use a large enough (diameter) bullet. That's all. In reading the results of others that could not get Microgroove to shoot lead, all failed to use a large enough bullet.

Just think, for the lack of a little effort on many shooters' part the Microgroove got a reputation for poor results with lead that it did NOT deserve. This is how the misinformation mill gets the grease that keeps it turning.

Ballard or Microgroove better with jacketed rounds? I think the inherent limitations of the rifle, especially if it is a barrel band carbine, have more to do with the accuracy of the .35 Remington than the rifling style. Don't worry about it.

Since a Microgroove is perfectly acceptable, this means a new rifle is a viable option as well, unless you like buying older rifles or want a barrel longer than 20." Be sure to fire a few hundred jacketed rounds through a new Microgroove barrel to smooth it up in preparation for lead bullet shooting so it may do its best work. This advice is relevant no matter the rifling style of a new gun-often lead shoots better after jacketed bullets have smoothed up the bore and removed tooling marks, etc.

Since the Marlin website was changed it does seem the .35 Remington shooters are more active on this new site. I can't tell you where all the former thutty thutty shooters went, but I'm not feeling too bad about the large number of .35 adherents. The round has always been underappreciated. The .30-30 is a fine round, but it does NOT deserve to outsell the .35 by 50 or 60 to 1, which is the real world ratio of sales. I'm afraid the average guy who goes to Wally World has only heard of the .30-30 and assumes this is the only option available in the 336.

You can order a .35 from Wal-Mart, by the way. Just look in their ordering catalog. It's there.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
You're lucky. My Wally World won't order 45-70 ammo for me, even tho they can special order any Marlin made :?

·
Registered
834 Posts
BlueMoon said:
:) Churchillman,

I find it very odd that the 35 rem is so popular on this site. I guess it's where you live. The 30/30 is much more popular in my neck of the woods.

Bill
The 30/30 is more popular in all geographic areas. I like my 35 above all because I just like being different. The round just has a hard core following that is willing to trade a bit of speed for a bit of hole size. I think use of the round is in serious decline these days. Rumor has it that Marlin is even abandoning it. Hell 20 years ago I could pick up a box of 35 Rem at Kmart. Not anymore.

The .35 Rem will become obsolete long before the 30/30. The 30/30 and 30/06 are sort of America's rifle rounds. Don't matter if anything else is better they will out-sell them. Of course for their purposes they are hard to beat!

Larry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts