Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and discovered that either I'm recoil-sensitive, or people aren't just whining about the pains of shooting off a bench. Those 180gr Core-Lokts hurt like heck. :eek: Funny thing is I didn't notice the recoil when shooting from a standing position.

I'd boast about my tiny groups except that with a twenty-plus-mile-an-hour wind and the fact that I'm not used to shooting a .30-06, the best I could do was a bit under two inches. :'( Maybe with practice I'll improve... ::)

I remember the first time I shot a 12ga--my shoulder was sore for two days. Now, even with nothing but a t-shirt, I hardly notice the recoil. I sure hope the same happens for the .30-06. ;D

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
You'll get used to it. When I started shooting heavier rounds they affected my ability. Now my 375H&H is quite comfortable and even my 416 Rigby is pretty shootable for me.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IN1894SS said:
You'll get used to it. When I started shooting heavier rounds they affected my ability. Now my 375H&H is quite comfortable and even my 416 Rigby is pretty shootable for me.
Ah, good. Of course, if that's your picture in your avatar, I'm not built as sturdy as you, so... ;D

·
Registered
631 Posts
MarlinXL7, I spent 30 years in the Marine Corps. It's not about build, but technique.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Just make sure you have it tight in your shoulder with a good cheek weld.Doing that sucks up a lot of recoil!!! ;D

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
I'll admit it...I use a sissy pad (Past) whenever shooting from a bench! Most times its not needed, and yes I can handle recoil, but why beat yourself up to prove it!

·
Registered
386 Posts
MarlinXL7 said:
...and discovered that either I'm recoil-sensitive, or people aren't just whining about the pains of shooting off a bench. Those 180gr Core-Lokts hurt like heck. :eek: Funny thing is I didn't notice the recoil when shooting from a standing position.

I'd boast about my tiny groups except that with a twenty-plus-mile-an-hour wind and the fact that I'm not used to shooting a .30-06, the best I could do was a bit under two inches. :'( Maybe with practice I'll improve... ::)

I remember the first time I shot a 12ga--my shoulder was sore for two days. Now, even with nothing but a t-shirt, I hardly notice the recoil. I sure hope the same happens for the .30-06. ;D
Quit being a sissy baby, your from TEXAS man act like it! ;D That's why I won't buy a 30-06 I hate them, my dad uses a Rem. pump and it kicks like the devil. Try 150 grainers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
MarlinXL7 said:
Shooting from a bench is a whole different ball game to most of us compared to shooting in an upright position.
I can shoot off bags over the pick-up hood with either my 7mmWSM or high performance muzzle loader with very
little recoil concerns at all. But they murder me at the bench, and that sucks when attempting to work up loads
and the flinching factor emerges. To eliminate my recoil-sensitive factor, I use the following to know just what
new loads will do in my rifles, INCLUDING those with no discernible recoil:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0009740805

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
grout-scout said:
Quit being a sissy baby, your from TEXAS man act like it! ;D That's why I won't buy a 30-06 I hate them, my dad uses a Rem. pump and it kicks like the devil. Try 150 grainers.
I knew you'd say something like that! I'm going to start shooting 55-gr saboted bullets now that I know I'm a sissy. ;D

No, really, I'm just going to have to get either a lower bench or a higher chair. I noticed the rifle was shouldering kind of funny, so I went back and took a good look at my 'bench'. It's a 4'-high wooden spool with a 2'-high metal folding chair. The recoil almost knocked my 175lb self over (just kidding)--that chair was wobbly! ;D

·
Registered
386 Posts
MarlinXL7 said:
I knew you'd say something like that! I'm going to start shooting 55-gr saboted bullets now that I know I'm a sissy. ;D

No, really, I'm just going to have to get either a lower bench or a higher chair. I noticed the rifle was shouldering kind of funny, so I went back and took a good look at my 'bench'. It's a 4'-high wooden spool with a 2'-high metal folding chair. The recoil almost knocked my 175lb self over (just kidding)--that chair was wobbly! ;D
;D Thats an official shooting bench right there! You know what the biggest problem is for you? It's the fact this little ol' gun only weighs a hair over 7lbs with scope. But then again you have a 168lb advantage over it! Seriously that's the only caliber I have shot that I hate, course I've only shot one that is bigger. ;)

·
Registered
990 Posts
Try the 165gr bullets and you will be well served in anything you hunt. My '06 likes 165s better than the 150s.

As far as shooting off the bench, make sure your seat is low enough so you are sitting upright when you snuggle up behind the gun. You don't want to be hunched over because then the recoil will be directed more to your bones then your muscles.

·
Registered
386 Posts
dmsbandit said:
As far as shooting off the bench, make sure your seat is low enough so you are sitting upright when you snuggle up behind the gun. You don't want to be hunched over because then the recoil will be directed more to your bones then your muscles.
That must be my problem too, I'm kinda tall and have to hunch over to shoot. Well, I'm probably lacking the muscle part too, lol! :-[ 8)

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
grout-scout said:
That must be my problem too, I'm kinda tall and have to hunch over to shoot. Well, I'm probably lacking the muscle part too, lol! :-[ 8)
You too? I'm only 6'1" and a bit low on muscles at the moment. ;D

·
Registered
199 Posts
For me and anymore .416Rem. UP not problem.
Probably it is a specific of everybody.

IN1894SS said:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Subjective recoil evaluation from a bench can be an interesting subject,
But I believe as a previous poster stated, technique has a lot to do with it.
From easy to tough: (I'm 6ft 195Lbs, 60yrs old)

10/22 with an 18" heavy barrel - Like playing a video game
Converted Savage 10 in .223 with 26" Heavy Varmint barrel - dreamy
Converted XL7 with Savage .243 .510 22" barrel - very nice
AK - about like the .243
6.5x55 24" M38 in a Monte Carlo stock - quite nice
XL7 in .270 .510 22" - getting there, but still quite manageable
BAR in .270 - like a .270, just poor accuracy
A Bolt in 7mm RM 26" hunter barrel - Good solid breakfast makes a difference.
Win 140 12G with slug or buckshot - Ditto

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
the ole 30-06 and a 180 grain pill will rattle your teeth up. sure scares the hell out of the deer too! i found out the 30-06 was a hammer and decided if was gonna shoot a caliber like that i might as well shoot a 300 winchester. loved a 300 ever since.

·
Registered
28 Posts
good point lever; if you're gonna get beat up on your end anyway, you might as well dish out more on the business end as well...

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Not about XL7 sight in, but having shot alot of guns I would have to say the 12ga. 3" Wichester Supreme Patrtion Gold 385 gr. saboted slugs are the meamest things I ever shot. They WILL get your attention. Shoot very good in my Rem 870 rifled barrel.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts