Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finely did it. Found a Savage 99 R pre war in 300 Savage. Any idea where I can find a cleaning procedure and any thing to look out for in disassembly. Savage-99-1.jpg Savage-99-15.jpg I know need picks. you will have to settle for G.B. picks for now. I hope this is not as aflickting as marlinitice. WW

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Either get a cleaning rod with the tapered muzzle guard, or a Boresnake...

I used the cleaning rod with the muzzle guard, and it works ok. It's just a little less convenient than cleaning from the breach, but it's all good in the end.

Disassembly.....don't do it if you are not familiar with the spring tension procedure on the cartridge spool. You'll need a special tool to do that, although, it can be made easily from a large screwdriver. Go over to Savage Shooters Forum, and there are links to serial numbers, lever boss stampings, and disassembly procedures.

Yours looks to be in excellent condition considering that it's a prewar version. I don't know what you paid, but the rifle looks great.

I have a 300 Savage Model 99, and it absolutely loves that Remington Express 150 gr. Corelokt factory ammo. I'd recommend this ammo to anyone with a 300 Savage.

With regards to the Marlinitis statement, it can be, but it can be more expensive. An older 99 in good condition will definitely cost more that a normal Marlin. It's the old "they don't make it anymore" story, and that can't be said with a Marlin.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Have two. 99 in 284 Win that was beat up as a TX truck gun. Ugly, broken/repaired stock, but shoots great. Dropped two in their tracks for me, and one son killed his first with it and is hooked. Other one is my holy grail. Early '50's in 300 Sav. in nearly new condition. Nicest one I have seen. And yes I paid a premium for it and more than a Marlin. So far only a rabbit with it. Too purty to drag around in the woods and tree stands! But I will hunt some shooting house time with it.

Also, as stated above, I would not attempt a disassembly of the action/rotary magazine. I just open my bolt and clean from the muzzle with a muzzle guide.

Reactions: wwmartin

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
That is one sweet rifle, really sweet. Dido on not messing with the rotary mag, if the spool runs, would disassemble rest of action, and use a gun scrub aerosol around spool, dry with compressed air, lightly spray lubricate. Can use a can of that compressed air computer cleaner stuff for this. If the spool area, really needs a clean, take to a good gunsmith, seems to be the common recommendation, and what I've done. Good video on U tube about basic disassembly.

Would go to Numrich and buy a new mainspring (inexpensive), and put in doing cleaning. One of my 1950's 99s had a weak spring, assume from being stored cocked. So replaced all of them, to insure no issues on a cold morning hunt.

The orginal Savage factory sling swivel studs, can be to tight for modern uncle mikes swivels. Rather than drill them out, opted to carefully file down a set of uncle mikes swivels. If those are the original factory studs and swivels, you scored big, those swivels are often missing, and very high dollar on the collectors market.

It is actually an RS, a more valuable rifle than the R. The give away is the two little bands at the front of the forearm, the R didn't have these. When it left the factory it also had Lyman or Redfield peep sight installed RS for rifle with sights. In no way does the absence of the sight detract from this beautiful rifle, if you want you can always find the sights. Prewar guns had the Lyman sight, change to Redfield mid to late 50's.

For some of us, it's as fulfilling as Marlinitis.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the advice. I won the rifle two weeks ago, $513 shipped so I guess I did ok. Its drilled and tapped for a scope mount but other that, the but pad and a few light handling marks in the wood its in really good shape. ordered a marbles tang sight for in it came today. How does one tell if the sling mount and sing are factory. my first savage lever not as heavy and auc Savage-99-2.jpg Savage-99-3.jpg Savage-99-4.jpg Savage-99-6.jpg Savage-99-7.jpg kward as they look really feel real nice. WW

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Congrats! I sure wouldn't mind having one myself. Enjoy...

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Very nice!!! They sure do have an appeal all their own.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Pic of Factory Savage RS swivels stolen from another site. By the way, that Savage looks really good. You got a great rifle for a very good price, congrats.

Reactions: wwmartin

·
Premium Member
13,995 Posts
Very nice Savage, congratulations! I have one in .308 and love it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts