Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
It still has the stickers on the forarm! I'll bet it goes for $1500+. The one that went for $1800 wasn't in this good of condition . HYDE

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Certainly not the same gun, but I got a BB Winchester 356 NIB last year for 450$. I've shot it quite a bit and feel good about it. :lol: This gun is purely a collector. I wouldn't even shoot it. Unfortunately, if you shoot the 444, 375, or 45-70, it has nothing better to offer either. Low recoil pounder that works well, but would be better off with pointed bullets like all of them. Guess I'd get a 358 in a Browning if pushed that direction. I do get 2480 easily with a 200gr. bullet. :wink: From the sounds of it, Ranch Dog's Marlin 356 has been somewhat dissapointing. I guess mine doesn't stand out as anything too great since I shoot the 444, and especially the 45-70 at higher velocities.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
I always like watching these!!! As a hunter, a 444 it isn't. To quote my dad when I asked him to hunt antelope with my 336ER...

"If I've got to hunt with something that kicks so hard and does so little, I won't go!"

My dad has always hunted with a M94 and since some time around 1970, just used the Hornady 170-grain bullet. I think that the cartridge and bullet are one of the most effective combos out there. I also remember him drooling over the Savage M99 in 308. A fellow let him borrow one to see if he liked it. He had five doe permits as part of a hunt to reduce the animals (killed one the day prior) and he shot four does with that M99 in about 30 seconds as the four walked into a clearing. I will always remain in awe of what I saw. He heart shot all four (open sight rifle ) and the critters where at about 60-yards but two ran about 60 yards. His comments about that rifle where about the same and I never heard him mention it or look at one again.

This year, at the shot his antelope never took a step and I just can't put aside the pride I felt in him at the shot. He shot so quick again that it caught me totaly off gaurd. I will never forget what he did afterwards. He simply turned and looked at me. That deep eye contact that goes to your soul and said "thank you". Geez, I just wasn't expecting that for some reason.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I wish it was me!! But I do have my New Marlin 717M2 on the way :D That little semi-auto 17HM2 should be just the medicine for rabbits and such. Should have it in hand early next week. Walmart came through :D

Dr A. Did ya ever get all the dust cleaned out of your rifle :shock: :shock: :D

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
yea, but not my brain! Brother went to OK and started hunting this AM. Bet he'll get a couple. He hunts in a more open place.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Not yet....but it is getting harder to have restraint :D I'm going to Cabelas monday in KC for the triple bonus points. Who knows maby Tommy and I will come home with a new Winchester mod 70 in 325WSM :shock:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Big Med, dang you, you know I have the hots for a .325WSM and here you are posting about it again. Stop it!

When you get back from Cabela's let me know what you find. I'm going to Gander Mountain in Little Rock next Wednesday, let's compare notes next Thursday.

SS

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Heck lets do one better and compare rifles :lol: :lol: I'm looking for the Super Shadow. I may end up ordering one from Walmart. They sell the Super Shadow for $449.00, but part of me has been thinking about waiting to see if they will carry it in one of their package guns. They sell the Super Shadow in most of the WSM with an elcheapo scope for $398.00 and I'm wondering if they will do that next year in the 325 WSM. But then again, I dont know if I can wait that long..... :wink:

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Anybody want ot buy a 356 in a Winchester. Has a much more beautiful stock than an ER. :lol: Don't really want to swell it, but I'd sure settle on half that amount!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts