Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered 200 Remington 150 grain Corelokts from Cabela's and I got the 170 grain version. I know it's a good bullet but my rifle is already sighted in for the 150 pushed by 29 grains of RL 7. I have a full can of 3031 so I will try 30 grains of it under the 170 and see if it is as good as you guys say. I used this bullet in factory loads in the seventies and it appeared that very little expansion was going on. Any comments on the current version.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
All I know is that is very accurate out of my 30-30, and it really kills deer dead :lol: I shot about a 170 lbs doe last year at about 130 yards. She was looking straight at me. I hit her dead center in the front of the chest, the bullet hit one the last ribs on the way out of the chest cavity and traveled between the hide and meat and it was lodged near the rear hind quarter. I would say that bullet did very well, the deer steaks dont taste too bad either :wink:

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
It will give extreme expansion compared to Sierra and Speer. I have noticed that it is softer than perhaps it used to be. I don't advocate them for hogs, but are ideal on your deer. Every one I have shot with them ( about 12), have dropped right now. They are reasonably accurate, and cheap to shoot. You should have an accurate load there.

G

·
Rick,

Do you have any 4895? 31.5grns IMR or 32.0grns Hod. for the 170. I used to have a accurate load with the 3031 but it was somewhere between 28.0-30.0grns. I like Ken Waters load of 32.0grns AA2460 but a lot of the modern data is using powders like RL-15. I've even had good accuracy with 37.0grns H414 and mag primer with the 170 but only about 2000fps from a 20" barrel.

Bill

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have shot a lot of deer with the 170's, and yes they kill deer fine, but I switched to 150 Win.PP, and they kill deer better in my experiance. Unless the deer was spined, or neck shot, they never" just fell over". With the 150's, the deer drop quicker on heart/lung shots.
I'm going to try the 150 corelokts now, but will never go back to 170's for deer. My 336 shoots them both about the same.
That's been my experiance, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone know what powder gives the highest velocity with the 170's? I looking ar just getting a can of powder to fit the need best.

·
Registered
527 Posts
rickt300,
I think you will need W748 or BLC-2, those two powders seem to give the best or highest velocities that I can think of off the top of my head. Another helpful place for you to go is www.realguns.com just scroll down and click on 30-30. Just be aware that all loads listed on that web page are MAX and you will need to decrease by 10%. Hope this answers helps you out.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Rick, I use just what 336A mentioned. 36gr. of 748 or 35.5 of BL-(C)2 will get you up over 2200 and higher in some guns. Also, I hear that Rel. 15 gives better velocity than these with slightly higher pressures.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Reloader 15 is awsome for full power loads. Check the books and work up but I load 34.0 grains under the Rem 170's for 2300 fps out of my 24" 336 Cowboy in 30/30. Super accurate too. Alliant lists 34.1 grains as max. under the 170.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've killed 3 elk with 30-30 cartridge. First two with 170 grain Winchester soft tip and last with 170 grain core-lockt by Remington. All died within few blinks after bullet impact. I prefer the neck-to-shoulder joint. Big bones with lots of nerves and blood vessels. Impact at this spot within reasonable distance will drop 'em right where they stand.

200 grain core-lockt is equally deadly in 35 Remington persuasion. Perhaps a more noticeable impact on the animal but damage is still damage.

150 or 170 is a good discussion topic. I'm certain either weight will produce neatly wrapped packages of venison in your freezer assuming good placement for the first shot.

Good hunting to you.
Jack :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know I can get Winchester 748 and have used it some, shot good with noticable muzzle flash. Ig I can find it though I will try a can of RL 15.

·
Registered
137 Posts
rickt300:

The deer I've killed with a 30-30 I've always used a 170 grain PP or Sierras that I reloadeded. I've never shot a deer with a 150 gr as far as I can recall. I'm doing some thinking on trying Win. PP+ which of course are 150 grainers. They are a bit flatter and I would try them in the very few places that I hunt where you might get a 150 to 200 yard shot.

With that being said I prefer my .35 Remington, shooting for now Federal Power Shok with the 200 gr. SPRN. I'm just barely getting into reloading and my bullet of choice may change for the .35 Rem. In any event I try to put the bullet close behind the front shoulder or if circumstances warrant it, right through the shoulder. This has always worked well with both deer and bear for me.

I've taken deer and bear with everything from a .22 Mag - a 30-06 to include 12 ga. shotgun and I still find that the .35 Rem and the 30-30 Win. are the best calibers for where I hunt.

Range Finder

P.S. I used to hunt with a guy that killed at least 11 black bears and dozens of deer with a 30-30 and I do believe he used Winchester Power Points and Remington core-lokts and they were 170 grainers.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have always shot the 150 grain bullets in my 30-30 rifles, not because they shot any flatter because the difference is hard to tell when your hunting. But it seemed they opened faster and penetrated just fine. In the early seventies I lived in Montana and shot several deer and an antelope with a 30-30 my uncle owned. Tha ammo he had were the 170 grain Hollow point corelokts and it just didn't seem they gave a lot of expansion but they penetrated on a grand scale. The deer and the antelope didn't act like being slammed by that bullet was any fun they just vent down after going 30 yards or so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts