Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Right there on the barrel, as stamped big as day by the Marlin factory, a honest to goodness Hyphen -

Hyphen_zps133aea12.jpg

So that settles that. A "32 Special" might not be officially hyphenated, but a ".32-H.P.S." sure is, I have proof!

Now the interesting part of the story is when was this 26" round barreled rifle built.

I'm guessing the markings will tell the story, someone here smarter than me will pin down a date.

The serial # is four digits, no prefix -

Serial_zpse5403516.jpg

But it's a 93 -

93_zps4b72edc3.jpg

The barrel is marked "Marlin Firearms Co", though I've seen an earlier serial numbered 93 carbine (#1168 ) marked "The Marlin Firearms Corporation" so it's probably a leftover barrel.

Patentdates_zps0a1f4ab6.jpg

Top of the receiver with factory screw holes for the Hepburn sight -

MarlinSafety93_zps0ea67cb6.jpg

So when was its birthday? I'm going to guess 1919-1920.

Interested to hear what you think?

B

·
Registered
661 Posts
Nice looking rifle Brian, glad to see it kept it's blueing. So, how does it shoot?

Reactions: bbri4570

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Hey Brian, ol Buddy. Ya gotta post more pictures than that. You cut my slobbering short, so get with the program, Brother!

Looking at my quick reference chart, Marlin doesn't have records of serial numbers from 1907 to 1935. With that low of a number, it is an early "Model 93", so it could be in the 20's.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So, how does it shoot?
Don't know yet, but I'm itching to give it a go as the bore is pristine. I have dies, but no bullets or brass. I could resize some 30-30 in a pinch, but need to find projectiles first. The butt stock of this rifle has been replaced somewhere along the line. It's nice wood but does not match the fore end in color or finish, and has a small pad, so she will be getting new matching lumber front and rear, time to test out my stock fitting skills I guess.

Should be a fun ride.

B

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
have found plenty of rem core lokt ammo locally in SE Va. finding projectiles is tough but have enough brass from the 100 or so rounds of core lok't I have bought.
Don't know yet, but I'm itching to give it a go as the bore is pristine. I have dies, but no bullets or brass. I could resize some 30-30 in a pinch, but need to find projectiles first. The butt stock of this rifle has been replaced somewhere along the line. It's nice wood but does not match the fore end in color or finish, so she will be getting new matching lumber front and rear, time to test out my stock fitting skills I guess.

Should be a fun ride.

B

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brian, I used a Precision Gun Works stock for my .38-55 project and it turned out OK. The inletting was very close but fitting a crescent butt plate is a bit of a challenge.
I have a set inbound from them. It will test my skills, but I have all my Great Grandfather's woodworking hand tools, and just enough knowledge to be dangerous. :biggrin:

B

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Okay,

Here's a photo of the rifle as received - Trinidad Bill, a tip of the hat to you on this one.

9332-HPS_zpscd60b716.jpg

Pulled the butt stock off and it's original Marlin, just not to this rifle - or is it. First glance I saw the "D" and passed it off - didn't notice the number was the same until I rechecked it after Schtoolee's post below!

D1258_zps3ed2c976.jpg

Obviously the stock was customized at some point with the pad. It looked short to me, but I think it's an optical illusion with that long barrel. Same length of pull as my crescent guns.

Couldn't stand it so I grabbed a similar era "parts" crescent butt stock and gently slid it home to see how it looked.

Crescentforeffect_zps682bbdf6.jpg

Crescentforeffect2_zps263f52d5.jpg

Just seems to look more natural to me. So that's how she'll likely end up with new lumber.

Dug through my odds and ends box late last night and found two boxes of Rem 32 Special Core-Lokt 170's. Might just have to hit the range tomorrow and see how it shoots.

B

·
Registered
473 Posts
Brian,
Nice find. Your working that 12 step Marlinitus program...1+ a month it looks like!

What size are you looking for in Cast? I can see what molds I might have. Got a few to use on the 327 Magnum...

Ken

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ken,

I'm easily still on the 12 Step program when you deduct those boring rifles and handguns I've sold over the last 30 days. I'm actually down two in the herd over the last 60 days even with this one.

Not sure about the cast, haven't slugged it yet. Probably should stop shouldering it and racking an imaginary round in to take down imaginary game at unheard of distances and figure that out. :biggrin:

Did I mention that the mailman brought me an MVA base today for it today . . . . another eBay find, though it looks like I'll have to enlist the help of the WDRA Armorer Old Machinist and get him to drill me an additional hole in the base to get it fit (it's an older yet unused MVA Marlin base, and that's the way they play).

A pretty cool rifle all in all.

B

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Ken,

One more thing, what size cast does your 1895GS like?

I liberated mine from the LGS and she's now safely home (a birthday present to myself) and I'm itching to get her out on the range as well.

B

Reactions: KEN CO

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Way to go!! Looks pretty sweet!!

·
Registered
423 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Okay,

Here's a photo of the rifle as received - Trinidad Bill, a tip of the hat to you on this one.

B
Brian, I am glad it worked out for you. Because of this, yesterday I was able to acquire a CMP Remington 1903-A3 born in 1943. I have been looking for a mate to my Rock Island 1903 for quite some time.

Now, about that Winchester 1895 .405 ...

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Hey B,

Great score!

Yep, a .32 Special "Dinger Ringing Machine"!

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
There should be another serial number on the upper receiver tang. If the stock is right, and they forgot to put the D prefix on the lower tang.
you are looking at a little earlier, than you guessed. Maybe 1916-17

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Schtoolee,

Thanks, I was hoping you'd show up.

The lower tang and upper tang are both marked 1258 with no prefix. Just realized the stock is also "1258", just "D1258" - I just wrote it off as soon as I saw the D, so it's probably the original stock.

I know the pad and the white line are a later addition to the stock, but did they build 93's with a shotgun style buttplate in the rifles? Maybe I won't convert this one to crescent?!?!?

Interesting. Just when you think you are getting smart . . . . :hmmmm:

So you think 1916 or 1917 as a date of manufacture?

Regards,

B

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
I would think that the stock is correct, I would think that that it is more likely that a person would forget to add a prefix, than to add one. And once you missed it on the upper receiver, not putting it on the lower tang would kind of make sence. You need to remember back then, that the serial number was there for keeping track of parts, during assembly. After that, not that important. Also yes you could get it with a shotgun buttplate, back then. The receiver has the Hepburn, sight holes, last advertised in the 1915 catalog. And as far as I know, most of the guns made during the war years, we're assembled from parts on hand. If it wasn't for the D on the stock, and the Hepburn holes, with a no prefix 4 diget serial number, I would have said 1921-22.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts