Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the range about 2 weeks ago shooting my .35 i put about 20 rounds through it and convinced myself to throw another 5 through it before i left. (thing is too damn fun to shoot). i load my last 5 rounds drop the lever down and the action jams open without feeding a round all the way into the chamber.
Upon reaching a warmer area, it was about 11 degrees at the range, i took a closer look and saw that my first round in the tube had slid back only about 3/16th of an inch and locked up the whole gun. i was able to ,scarily enough, push the round back all the way into the tube using a screw driver and a bit of force and quickly unload the rifle. i wanted too make sure there was no seirious damage to the gun so i loaded another 5 rounds and levered them through, everything worked fine. i d it a second time and the same jam happened on the 3rd and 5th rounds.
i was just wondering if anyone has had this type of jam happen to them before, i was told to "quit babying the lever" in the past and i do not think that this is what caused the jam.
any input would be awesome

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that was realy not what i wanted to hear but the gun was used lightly. i know baisicly nothing about how to fix lever guns but hopfully the smith that sold it to me will show me how to fix it

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
You have encountered the dreaded Marlin jam. Here is some ides to fix:

Marlin94Fix

Is your gun new or used?
The OP said his rifle is a 336. The 336 cannot have the "Marlin jam" because the carrier mechanism is different. It sound more like old lube that stiffened up in the cold weather caused the jam. Follow Erik's advice and give the gun a good cleaning and a minimum of lubricant if you are going to shoot in very cold conditions.

·
Banned
2,359 Posts
#1Do you have a hammer extension on it?????Sometimes if the hammer extension is too high the bolt hits it jamming the action.Simply pull the hammer back to the end of its travel and you should be able to clear the action.Then some grinding needs to be done on the offending part.
#2 Installing a Wild West trigger can do the same thing.Solution is to polish the top of The Hammer.Hope this helps you,OB

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The OP said his rifle is a 336. The 336 cannot have the "Marlin jam" because the carrier mechanism is different. It sound more like old lube that stiffened up in the cold weather caused the jam. Follow Erik's advice and give the gun a good cleaning and a minimum of lubricant if you are going to shoot in very cold conditions.
i do not think that it was the cold that caused this jam as it happened again after the gun was warm and inside my house. still a full cleaning is prolly a good idea

1 - 9 of 9 Posts