Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new Guide Gun owner. I bought some Bitterroot Valley ammo to start with (405grain, supposed to get 1600fps). Then I picked up some Black Hills cowboy ammo (also 405 grain, but only 1250fps). I fired about 10 of the Bitterroots last week just to get a feel for the gun. The recoil was very manageable. I was looking forward to trying out the Black Hills, since I figured it would kick considerably less. Today, I fired a few of the Black Hills, and I can't say I thought the kick was any less. So I loaded the gun with one of each kind, without knowing which was which, and fired the two shots. I didn't notice any difference at all in how they felt. Same kind of bullet, same weight of bullet, supposed to be 350fps difference...and it shoots exactly the same? ??? Not that it matters. I'm just wondering what's up. In searching the web a bit, I found one guy who said his Bitterroot Valley chrono'd at something like 1100fps. So maybe mine is just way underloaded? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
603 Posts
most factory ammo is loaded to trapdoor levels which puts it around 1100-1300fps. If the bitterroot was advertised at 1600 it should have been at least 1550.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
I also tried the BRV also and found them to be very manageable-- no Chrono so I can't help there.

Steve

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
hmmm, that was the bullets I wanted to try next. Maybe I will have to find something else. I guess there isnt a GOOD 1.00 per round out there. I really need to reload ::)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, Bitterroot also makes some semi jacketed 400 grain cartridges that they say get 1900fps. Maybe those ones do somewhere near 1600. ;)

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Our local range will rent a chronograph out for a few bucks, and I've been shooting the BVAC ammo. I'll run some through the chrono if I can get out there next weekend (too busy this week). I was wondering the same thing, as the recoil was not what you'd call "fearsome" or anything. My Rossi 44 mag lever gun kicks harder then the GBL.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I look forward to hearing your results, if you get the chance to look into it.

Anyhow, I'm saving up my brass and planning to start handloading soon, at least for 45-70. Maybe just get a Lee hand press for now.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I sure wish Buffalo Bore or Garrett's were cheap to shoot (one day I will have to buy some of both to see how they kick) For some reason I am one of those people that just want a rifle to kick like a mofo. I guess it goes back to when I was younger and watching one of my favorite movies... Jeremiah Johnson staring Robert Redford, He always wanted a Hawking 50 Cal. and when he found one and shot it, it kicked like a mule and he loved it. Ever since that I guess I just love guns that kick.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I want a blaster too. That's the main reason I started off with all BVAC ammo. It's cheap at just over a buck a round, and shoots well for factory ammo. You can see some of my targets on my GBL review thread. Plus, it comes with Starline brass, and I want all my 45/70 brass to be the same, no matter what. Maybe for some other caliber you can mix brass, but when I start to reloading 45/70 up to almost 2000 fps with those 405's, I don't want any variables at all.

"being of sound mind and broke legs I hereby bequeath my rifle to who ever finds it. Lord hope it be a white man. It is a good rifle and killed the bear that killed me.".....

That movie was great. I'm going to make a point of going and doing the chronograph next Saturday a.m.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Skin that one pilgrim and I'll get you another

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Now I have to look through my movies to find that to watch tonight. The wife is out with her mother and I bored home alone.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
How about "The Long Riders"; Keach's, Carradine's, Guest's, and Quaid's. Not accurate, historically speaking, but a fun movie anyway......

You know, the most accurate movie I've seen about Jesse James is "The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" starring Brad Pitt. Historically accurate in most details, sheds a little truth on the legend. Not likely to be favored by the John Wayne western crowd. The "Deadwood" crowd will love it.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Well with John Wayne being my relative I have to like his movies. I have wanted to see that movie "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" as I heard it was the most accurate. I will have to get my son to find it for me.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Don't forget "The Wild Bunch".

"If'n you dig that slug outta him you'll see it was my ought-six what done him in!"...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Doc Holliday said:
Well with John Wayne being my relative I have to like his movies. I have wanted to see that movie "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" as I heard it was the most accurate. I will have to get my son to find it for me.
I didn't like that one at all, but I admit to not being a huge western fan to begin with. I do love Silverado, and I'd say the original True Grit is in my top 20 films list. But I can't think of a lot of other westerns I really liked. To be honest, though, I haven't seen too many John Wayne films. Never saw Stagecoach, for example. I'd probably like that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts