• No, but may start

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How heavy is your rifle and have you given it any thought? Or perhaps you dont know? I have a general rule in my mind of 7lbs. I often exceed it, but try to stay close. Its worth saying I am talking about rifles you expect to carry out in the field, not target rifles from a bench. Weight there is not such a big deal, and watching some guys at the range, they are only missing a wheeled carridge.

I have a favourite .308 and it just got too heavy. Naked, its 8lbs 3ozs, which is too much but manageble. Add a Harris up front and variable scope with rings atop at your closer to 10lbs, which is getting overweight. Of course, weight also reduces felt recoil, so its not all bad. If you dont believe that, shoot my old Smith J Frame light weight.

Anyway, I lost the bipod and scope, may replace it with a dot (Very light) or just stick with the open irons.

I am pretty focused on weight, like reticles I know what works for me. Anyone else have opnions or rules of thumb?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I prefer a light 6.5 lb- 7 lb hunting rifle too.
I take weight into consideration for my hunting trips because I do quite a bit of walking to get to my hunting spot (public land) plus I carry a tree climber, backpack & with winter cloths & boots it tends to get heavy.
My current bolt action rifles w/ scope comes in around 9 to 11 lbs.
I like a heavy gun for bench shooting, but not for walking in the woods.

I have been considering a light 6.5 lbs bolt action .308 rifle for my next hunting rifle. I think I'll use a low power scope to save weight as I hunt in the woods anyway. Haven't tried a red dot yet, it's probably much lighter than a scope.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,762 Posts
I am a minimalist when it comes to carrying the 'tool' of your task. Some jobs require require heavy tools. Your .308 heavy barrel for instance. Depends on the job. My just under 7 lb. .375 TK Marlin will do the job but carries a recoil factor and is pretty much a 100 yard gun.. (no match shoots). Bring enough gun for the job and you won't be under gunned. My 6.5 Swede carbine fits the bill for me under 200 yards.

AC

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
My 50 BMG rifle is 43 lbs but has a 2000 yrd range. My M1 Garand is 11.5 lbs and my M1A Super Match tips the scales at 18 lbs.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Never really thought about weighing my guns. I just take what I feel like using when I hunt. Mostly lever guns, but once in a while I take out the Rem 141 in 32 Remington.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I haven't weight it but did notice my 1895 SBL with a scout scope and a full load of 45/70 is not a light firearm. At the end of a long day it is even heavier. Thanks to the generosity of a fellow Marlin member I have been playing with a red dot sight and may deer hunt with it this winter. I'll try and weigh my rig tomorrow.

Padraig

·
Registered
880 Posts
Another thing is a 150 yard shot is a very long one on our farm. While I have rifles suitable for longer shots, I don't need this capability for my form of deer hunting. A short, light and handy rifle makes everything easier. My 1894 CSBL or AR in 300 Blackout are my usual choices.

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
My first centerfire, like a lot of boys, was a Winchester 1894 in .30 WCF. I have always carried short barrel (20" or 18") light rifles, bolt or lever. Even when I was young and tough, I never saw any advantage in big, long, heavy rifles. Carry more in your backpack, carry more ammunition, keep the rifle as light as possible. Remember, Colonel Cooper specified 7 pounds or less with optic and sling for his ideal Scout.

·
Premium Member
10,487 Posts
Savage 308 bolt and Benelli R1 in 308 are lighter than any of my Marlins other than rimfires maybe. The Benelli weighs 7 lbs without the scope. I have slings on the heavier guns but have never weighed any of them. In my 20's I carried a Remington 1100 12 gauge a many a mile. It was heavy but that was not a factor back then.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,762 Posts
I spent a week at GunSite with the Guru and Clint Smith. The class was invited at the end of the course with cocktails with his Lovely bride, Janelle inside the fortress he called home. He is truly a gentleman and she the lady. I was able to call them on the phone and Janelle was gracious handing the phone over to the Colonel to chat and provide answers to my questions.

Those are the chivalrous days goneby.

I've mentioned here before that my schooling there enhanced my law enforcement career and provided me the wherewithal to handle situations that may have resulted in saving, or taking lives.

AC

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
In 198 Jeff Cooper was my mentor along with Clint Smith - in books, and a week at Gun-Site. Changed my whole outlook and probably saved my life.

AC
Well said. I knew him, and was his man in S America for a spell. Got quoted in his G&A collum a few times. He was an interesting guy and changed the way we all look at guns and shooting. I think even if you dont realise it, your using some of his ideas.

Reactions: M700 and Padraig
1 - 20 of 22 Posts