Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with the Weaver scout mount on their lever guns?

Can you still use buckhorn open sights? Considering using a scout setup on my 1894 .357

I have an xs scout system on my 1895 but I had to remove the buckhorn in order to mount it.

Any pics of your setups is appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
9,280 Posts
The Weaver scout mount is nearly identical to the XS version. Both mount in the forward receiver scope holes and the buckhorn rear sight dovetail. I prefer the Weaver mount aesthetically over the XS but that is the only difference in the two. And from what I can see, Weaver has discontinued their version. Weaver's sight doesn't list the part numbers any more. If you want one of the Weaver made ones hurry up. There is one for the 1894 listed on Amazon but they claim only 9 left.

Reactions: Scorpiusb

·
Super Moderator
9,280 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,280 Posts
That was a Williams WGRS with their fiber optic ghost ring aperture. I had it lying around from a previous upfit. If I were to do it again the rear peep would be a Skinner standard peep. The Williams is cheaper, but the settings are difficult to adjust finely and it takes a tiny eyeglasses type screwdriver to work the set screws.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
The Weaver scout mount is nearly identical to the XS version. Both mount in the forward receiver scope holes and the buckhorn rear sight dovetail. I prefer the Weaver mount aesthetically over the XS but that is the only difference in the two. And from what I can see, Weaver has discontinued their version. Weaver's sight doesn't list the part numbers any more. If you want one of the Weaver made ones hurry up. There is one for the 1894 listed on Amazon but they claim only 9 left.
Same here.

I find the Weaver base to be a little trimmer thus making it a little more streamlined. I have two rifles set-up with the Weaver base, and both rifles wear the Leupold Scout scopes. For open sights, I have a Skinner set on one, and a XS set on the other. Either will work great, but the Skinner has a better look when mounted. Both of my rifles are shorter than the normal 20" barrel guns, so the weight of the scope and base being more out front doesn't seem to effect the balance of the guns and they don't seem to be muzzle heavy. I only have three Marlins scoped, and those two are scout scoped with the other being a normal set-up. I like the scout scope set-up a lot for a scoped lever gun, and can't praise it enough..........

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I seem to recall the Williams WGRS hangs over the rear a little on the 1894's. I had one on a 336 and removed it with the thought of putting it on the 1894C but the two rear scope mount holes on the 1894 were farther back on the action than the 336. It worked but was ugly as sin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts