Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get a Weaver Kaspa 6-18x44 for free to fit on my x7vh 308.

Any feedback on this scope?

·
Registered
884 Posts
A 6-18x isn't in the current line-up, but if it's free I'd say it would be worth the price you paid.

The Kaspa series is just another SFP low adjustment range scope. So if you just want something that you won't dial adjustments, and has magnification; you would be set.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I don't have any experience with that much glass. I'd worry about the running 25-50 yd pig opportunity. I can say I really like weaver scopes. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the feedback guys.

I am going to take it and fit it on my rifle. If I am not happy with it, I will sell it and get something else :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
"Free" is the operative word here.................. Field of view may be a little tight but give it try. if you no like-e, nothing lost.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I now have the option between Kaspa 6-18x44 or the 40/44 6.5-20x44.

The 40/44 look like the winner to me :biggrin:

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have Installed a Lot Of Kaspa Scope By Weaver , I have read the reviews on them some are bad Here is what I see The Eye relief on them is a little closer then other scopes , They center and return back very good , They are clear at 3 power and just as clear at 12 Power for a under $200.00 scope they are as good as most in that price range . I will always have a soft spot for Weaver scopes as It was my first scope the only one in our Hunting camp a good old K4 I used it for over ten years . DD

·
Registered
52 Posts
i had a new 40/44 it was like looking through a fish bowl,i gave it away.my kids $30 bsa on his cricket is a better scope and it sucks.it seemed like a nice scope just looking through it but once i mounted it and went to the range i could never focus it and a few buddys tried it with the same results.all though not in the same league i have 3 super slams and they are great scopes.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Durbyking You see this in all scope Models You can't compare your super slams to the 40/44 . Most all the scope makers offer a replacement and or upgrade on there scopes on the cheaper scopes the fixed 100 yard Parlax Is the hardest to focus The side focus models are not as bad this is magnified at the second focal plane witch 99% of the scopes are built with . Send that bad boy back they are easy to deal with Hope this helps DD

·
Registered
52 Posts
i did Dan,right after i got it.they replaced it with a new one and i had the same problem,so i gave it to a buddy that needed a scope.i have or had alot of cheaper scopes and never had the problem i had with the 40/44.weaver makes some good scopes but i had bad luck with the 40/44.theres no comparing the two i just wanted him to know i didnt think all weavers are bad scopes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Indeed I always make room for a Weaver. I have two vintage model 3-9x40...they are built like tanks. Mfg dates are 1971 & 1973...I wouldnt trade them for anything.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Weaver scopes made in Japan are quality scopes. Weaver scopes made in China are spotty at best. I own Japanese made Classics, as well as 44/40s and Kaspas. There is no comparison between a Kaspas and a Japanese weaver.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
30 06 complete 001.jpg 30 06 complete 004.jpg

Right there is a Weaver 2.5X10X44 Kaspa Illuminated Reticle that I got a deal on at a LGS back in the summer, slapped it on my new Marlin XL7S 30-06 and it has taken Whitetail and Coyote this past week. At the range, 100yards, it will take a quarter every shot with plain ole factory blue box federal. I gave $140 for the Kaspa, and it was worth every penny. I'm pretty happy with it. It's not in the same class as my normal Nikon's, but it's also 1/3rd the cost. Would I buy it again, YES. I really like it for the $$$. I love the torrents, you pick it up, turn the torrent, then push it back down to "lock" in place. Once you sight the rifle, use the provided wrench to remove the torrent cap and place the cap back on in the "0" (zero) position. This allows field adjustments for distance and wind, then return to perfect zero at the turn of the dial back to "0". Set like so, notice they are both on "0":
20151116_080532.jpg

DR

Reactions: CuMelter

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I just put a Weaver 6x38 on my .222 and it is very bright and consistent. If I do my part cloverleafs at 100 yards are easy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have owned a few of the higher power range Japanese made Weaver Super Slams for several years now. Darn nice scopes when it comes to optics and tracking. Also own a 40/44 3-12 scope made in Philippines. For me, its optics are not the quality of my Super Slams, but still pretty darn good. Think my particular 40/44 has the so-called aspherical lens design. Only a few models of the 40/44s had it and the aspherical were discontinued. A gent I shoot with about two days a week, showed up with a friends rifle to work up a deer hunting load for the rifle that had same 40/44 as mine. After putting a few rounds downrange, he'll loudly exclaim, "I can't believe how clear the glass is in this cheap scope." I had to laugh, for he is quite picky when it comes to optics. Ask some of my regular range companions that are serious when it comes to optics, about Weavers and they'll all give them (Grand Slams and Classic Vs) good recommendations.

As to the Kaspa series, have viewed thru a few of them in stores. Not a good way to check a scope's optics, but seemed OK to me. If the Kaspa series was made in at least a 20X, I'd probably buy one to try.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've seen few Kaspa scope but I was not impressed. The workmanship definitely showed the Chinese quality.
Older Weaver 40/44 series were made in Philippines and was decent scopes but current ones (Master series) I think are made in China.

I don't think Chinese made products are all junk as they've slowly improved their quality over the past 25 years but optical products is one area where they still lag far behind everyone else.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts