Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
For my Marlins I prefer the Leupold Rifleman base. It's slightly longer than the Weaver 63B, has one extra slot that allows more scope positioning, and has MUCH better screws. It's more like the old Weaver 63A base. And the best part is that it costs under $10.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Halwg said:
For my Marlins I prefer the Leupold Rifleman base. It's slightly longer than the Weaver 63B, has one extra slot that allows more scope positioning, and has MUCH better screws. It's more like the old Weaver 63A base. And the best part is that it costs under $10.
Hey Helwg! What rings do you like?

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
I have Weaver Quad-Locks on most of my Marlins, but there are a ton of good rings out there.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
The weaver sits a little lower so you can see the iron sights easier.

The rifleman, like Halwg said has better screws and are countersunk better than the weaver..

I just mounted a rifleman base on my 336ss-ltd.
I've been posting pics of it all morning, might as well paste one up here too!!! ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Halwg said:
I have Weaver Quad-Locks on most of my Marlins, but there are a ton of good rings out there.
Stupid question, but would these rings work on the Leupold Rifleman base?

http://swfa.com/Burris-Zee-1-Rings-P1284.aspx

One my 336T, I have a Leupold QR base and Rings. However, I am getting 1964 336RC next week, and I am looking at getting another base and rings for this setup. I just put down some money for a VX-I 2-7x33 scope. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
I've never had a problem with the Weaver 63B's or the two piece Weaver bases that WalMart sells. For rings, I prefer the Weaver Quad-Locks. In my opinion they are the best rings out there for mounting scopes, and the prices are very reasonable.

I have Leupold turn ins on one of my Marlins, but only because they came on the rifle, and, for some reason, I decided not to change the mounts.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Brian in FL said:
I've never had a problem with the Weaver 63B's or the two piece Weaver bases that WalMart sells. For rings, I prefer the Weaver Quad-Locks. In my opinion they are the best rings out there for mounting scopes, and the prices are very reasonable.
Exactly.........

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Brian in FL said:

I have Leupold turn ins on one of my Marlins, but only because they came on the rifle, and, for some reason, I decided not to change the mounts.
i agree about the weaver 63b or the weaver 2 piece mounts. never had any problems with the 2 piece that i use but i do use leupold rifleman rings on the weaver mounts.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
The 63B's are too short, and don't allow enough ring movement with some scopes. I have them on a few guns, but I like the Leupold Rifleman much better.

·
Banned
3,041 Posts
I too cant get a scope far enough foward with the 63B's . The 63A's or the Leupold mount work best for me too. But I am also sold on the Burris Z rings as they are narrow and allow more forward mounting of my scopes.

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
Mainecat ; What heighth rings did you use & what diameter is the scope you used? I'm thinking of putting a K4 Weaver on my XLR & that looks like the right set up.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Bigog
Here is a K-4 atop an 1894 rifle. It fits the same on a 336 as far as scope height to barrel or rear sight. It's mounted on a Weaver one-piece rail and Burris Z rings (my favorites, now). I think they're lows, but they might be mediums. With a 38mm (IF it were me) I would order the mediums and start there.

If I'm not mistaken, Burris website has the height of their rings posted.

ON EDIT: I looked up my email invoice. The Burris Z-ring part# is 701259 from Midway. Those are low rings. I just measured the outside diameter of the K-4 bell, and it's exactly 39mm. So, if I had to hazard a guess, I would say my old K4-1 (from 1980 or before) is a 4x33 or a 4x35 scope, NOT a 38mm. Again, you just might need the medium height rings.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Here is the same K-4 scope on a 336CS in 35 Remington. Same Weaver one-piece and Burris Z rings. As someone said, the Z rings are (relatively) narrow, and allow for a little more adjustment, although on the Marlins, I have never found lack of adjustment room to be an issue.

I switched this scope over to the 1894 so that this rifle could have a 2-7x33 Bushnell Elite.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
The gentlemen are right on with the Leupold Rifleman base. Not only is it a tad longer with the extra slot, but the slots have a square bottom. The only better base is one that Cabela's sells that has several square bottom cross slots (if you need them.) Some rings (Warne for one) have square cross pins and if you get Weaver bases, you have to get out the file and go to work. Best wishes, Jack

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've never seen a Leupold scope mount do this....

It's meant to do that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My rifle is the 336 with pistol grip stock and I'm in the same boat with the original O.P. I'd like to mount a Redfield 2-7x33 in the lowest ring /mount combination possible while still being able to adjust the power ring and clear the rear sight base. The buckhorn sight can be lowered if necessary. I'd prefer to use Q.D. style rings if at possible.

What I've come up with so far after scouring the net:

Bases:
The EGW picatinny looks like it would give a wide range of adjustment while still having the same size as a normal one piece mount. It's also made from steel for those concerned about such things. Weaver style rings should work well in the Picatinny mounts. Correct me if I'm wrong. Not sure how tall the mount is however.
http://swfa.com/EGW-Picatinny-Rail-1-Piece-Scope-Mount-P46233.aspx

The Leupold Rifleman one piece base gives more options for mounting than the Weaver and is better quality, but is a shade taller. I gleaned that from this thread (thanks for everyone responding BTW).

Rings:
The Leupold Rifleman detachable rings are the lowest I've found at .112", but are also aluminum and I'm not really sure what makes them detachable. I'm also concerned that these rings might really be designed for rimfire guns.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=993198

The Leupold QRW Q.D. style rings are steel and their 'low' size height is .230"
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=463702

The Burris Z rings are steel, come in std. or Q.D and are .130" high which is lower than the Leupold QRW rings, but taller than the Rifleman rings.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=701259
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=596355

The wildcard ring/mount combo is the Talley low combo which is listed @ .400". Is this lower than the above list Q.D. rings when they are mounted on a Weaver or Picatinny base? Are they of the same quality as those listed above?
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=213496

1 - 20 of 26 Posts