Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought three Weaver J2.5's in really nice shape yesterday. One has a "N5" side mount, one has "148" pivotmounts, and one has standard rings and "21" bases. They are clear and sharp little scopes. Anyone know what the mounts fit? Will they stand up to recoil of a little cartridge? Thanks for all the help, moodyholler

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
J2.5

The J-series scopes were designed for use on center-fire rifles. I had a J-4 on my Model 99 .300 Savage for several deer seasons back in the early 60's. Did fine work with it, but moved up to a K-3. (The rifle and scopes are alas long gone, but I still have the box and all paperwork for the K-3.
Odd what we manage to hang onto.)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hi Moodyholler-

We just recently moved, and I still don't have all my reference stuff un-packed.

From the little I can get at on Weaver Mounts...

#21 front and rear are small diameter reciever-Mossberg 320, 340, 342, and 620 rifles. I have a set of 21's on an old (non Mossberg) single shot bolt .22.

Only listing I can find for the 148 pivot mount is for the Winchester 54 and very early model 70- probly the Hornet version.

N-5 side mount is for flat sided reciever rifles- eg - Win 1890, 1906, 62, 94, etc. They probly work on others like the old Marlin levers and pumps. Only fly in this oinkment is the N-series mounts require 4 holes to be d&t in the reciever. I've come across a few 1906's with these holes in the side of the reciever- a very serious detriment to collector value.

I already have an N-5 side mount in my collection. I'd be interested in the other rings if you are looking to get rid of them :wink: Slight chance of that as the scopes are sorta useless without rings! :D

Wouldn't mind seeing pictures of these scopes and mounts, if you could!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doc, pic's are forthcoming this evening. I might let the N-5 and the pivot mounts go if I could trade them for standard rings. Fatoldfool is wanting one of them for his 39A and I am thinking of putting one on my single shot. Till this evening, moodyholler

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the picture requested. moodyholler

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Thanks for the great pic Moody!

Those old Weavers are in excellent condition. You have a few collector's items there- yours is only the second set of grey nylon lens caps I've seen. I bought a set with an old B-4 in similar condition a while back. The standard rings on the scope at top of picture are incredibly hard to find in 3/4". I'm still kicking myself for buying only one set at a show where there were two sets available. I didn't realize how scarce those rings are at that time.

You sure that side mount is an N-5? Looks like an N-3 from here- for mounting on the factory d&t 39-A bbl that Marlin did for Sears in the mid 50's...

Great lookin scopes, Moody! You've done quite well! Note the difference in the turret plates in the scope at the top of your picture...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doc, are these 3/4" or 7/8" scopes? My Dad has()had) a couple of sets od=f standard 7/8" weaver rings. I thought they might work. moodyholler

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Moodyholler-

The J-2.5 and J-4 scopes all had 3/4" diameter tubes. The 7/8" rings will be a little too big. Weaver made a lot of 7/8" to standard rimfire dovetail rings- I have a set of those on a V-6 rimfire scope. Stroebel's book says the J series scopes had enough eye relief and internal strength for use on high powered center-fire rifles. They were made between 1947-1967. Many found their way onto rimfire rifles- due to their compact size. I like the 2 1/2 X myself- it's fast on target, and provides a reasonably bright image.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
272 Posts
Seems to be going around every where,,I just got a Weaver CUB the other day,Haven't seen one in twenty years..Things just pop out of the air I guess..No rings and the cross hair is busted.Might have to run my cat down and pluck him..Good thing he is black.modoc

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Modoc-

This is only the second time I've seen mention of a Weaver Cub. Not sure if it was here, or CGN that I seen it. Can you get a picture up for us?

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Missed out on a really nice Wee Weaver the other day, complete with those neat little external mounts they had. Friend got it before me, but I'm hoping to talk him out of it, should he become bored with it! :D

·
Registered
719 Posts
weavers......

if someone can talk him into it, 'hogger has a weaver external adjut. v8 triple crosshair mounted on a marlin.....getting a picture of it is the hard thingie!

and how did i know about this here scope? cause i gave it to him awhile back! :wink:

that should make everyone here slobber...... :lol:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think he means a picture of it. moodyholler

1 - 14 of 14 Posts