Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has used the Weaver Grand Slam rings and how did you like them for the fit to scope and also the base using a Weaver one piece base on a Marlin 336.I tried some Burris Zee rings and could not get them to slide over the base without tearing up the metal so they are out of the question for now as I am just going to stick with weaver rings and bases.Also what height did you get as I will be installing a Leupold Rifleman 2x7 on the gun. Mike

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
I don't know if they are any good or not. I'll find out soon. The local Gander Mountain has them on sale for $12.49. Medium height only. Gloss or matte finish. I grabbed three pair. They got to be as tough as Quad Locks. They're steel after all - not aluminum.

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
You need to use the Granslam steel bases. I watched mine rust in front of my eyes on a drizzely day in my treestand. They are rock solid though.

I like Talley.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm using a set of them on my '87 Marlin 336 35 Rem, medium height on a one piece weaver base with a ProStaff 2-7x32. It sits real low and has been rock solid for me. In fact, its probably my favorite setup out of about a half dozen choices. I find I can get a nice solid cheek-weld unlike some of the bigger optic/rings sets-ups, which require me to lift my face slightly to use the optic. So for me the rings get an "A".

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
I have found the Weaver Quad-Lock rings to be quite rugged enough for any Marlin rifle, and they cost a lot less than Grand Slams. WalMart carries them at a very attractive price. The Quad-Locks have four screws holding down each of the rings sides instead of only two on the Grand Slams. And, the Grand Slams are much heavier in weight than the Quad-Locks which is another negative the way I see it.

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
No, I should say what I mean. Use steel rings on steel bases. Its amazing to me how heavy all steel is.
My Talleys and K4 weigh less than 13 ounces together.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
I'm with Jake...Talley's for me.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback guys.Gives me something to think about.At this time I still lean to the Weaver Grand Slams on a Weaver one piece base.I tried the Burris Zee rings on a weaver one piece base and even after taking the screw out all it did was tear up my base so one of the two parts had a dimension wrong so I will probably stick to the same vendor so I dont have that problem again.Amazon has them for free shipping at a good price.Just trying to set my sons rifle up with a nice setup that works and looks good and wont break the bank. Mike ;D

·
Registered
465 Posts
Check out the Leupold rifleman rings and bases for the 336. They are aluminum which means that they are not going to be heavy and they are inexpensive, and I think very well made for the price. I think the solid steel idea is overblown on a mild recoiling rifle like a 336. All you are doing is making it heavier than need be.....just my opinion.

·
Banned
71 Posts
It's all relative. As far as weight is concerned, I only carry many of my rifles from the truck to the stand. The rest of the time Mother Earth is carrying the load as they stand in the safe. I just need the right combination of height and price with a bit of aesthetics thrown in. I'm not partial to any brand or material.

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
I use my rifles on almost a daily bases so that makes me "partial". I guess it is "all relative".

·
Registered
113 Posts
Halwg said:
I thought that was a boat! ;D
Funny!

I meant to type "Chinese junk?", so that came out wrong. My parents were in town from out of state and I was surfing for a couple minutes before we went out to eat. I wanted to add that I've never used the grand slams and have never even handled them. I read on several forums (anecdotal I know) that they were Chinese junk. I was thinking about ordering them myself as the design might be a bit sturdier while still being made in lighter weight aluminum.

Not to hijack but what about Millet aluminum rings? They're a bit lower than the GS Weavers. I haven't been able to dig up much on them.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Went ahead and ordered the Grand Slam rings in medium height and weaver one piece base from Amazon with free shipping.Looked around and this was the best deal with shipping.Hopefully all will be good so I am willing to give them a try.For 28.52 total cant go to wrong. Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts