Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s a question for any gunsmiths (or anyone in the know) that may be able to help.
I am in the process of getting a new Tikka T3 in .222 Rem. Now this is where the problem starts, because due to some clever design tactics by the manufacturers this rifle has been made so that you have to buy their own brand of mounts and bases, “Optiloc”, at (wait for it) £95.00 (that’s $173.00… :shock:) These are specially made to fit onto the 16mm flat built in dovetailed rail on top of the action.
On their website, Tikka advertise the fact that the rail is also drilled and tapped for Weaver bases so that if I want to (and I do) I can use the set of Warne rings that I already have.
Now! Does anyone know what Weaver (or Weaver style) bases will fit this rifle, because trying to find out this information over here is like looking for rocking-horse sh*t.
:(

·
Registered
192 Posts
www.brownells.com

or

Brownells Catalog 56 lists Weaver bases for the Tikka flat receiver for $12.30 each for the Grand Slam bases (pg 290-291).

Front and rear for Grand Slam bases (steel): S61
Front and rear for Top Mount bases (aluminum): 61

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Tenex said:
Now! Does anyone know what Weaver (or Weaver style) bases will fit this rifle, because trying to find out this information over here is like looking for rocking-horse sh*t.
:(
I've got a Tikka Varmit rifle with Weaver mounts, but I don't know which ones they are! They do make them, and they work ! Sorry, I know it's not much help, but keep on lookin'. :wink:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all your help. I was able to source a couple of B-Square bases for this rifle, and although they are only aluminium they seem to work OK.
I was able to utilise my own Weaver style Warne rings which saved me a lot of money.
Now all I need is the chance to get out and run this barrel in before the farmer cuts the crop, and gives me a nice clean sight-line on those unsuspecting foxes.
I have loaded up 100 rds of ammo using 70 grn spitzers (ballistic tips) over 44 grns of H414, Remington 9½ primers, anyone have any experience of this load. :?:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Tenex said:
I have loaded up 100 rds of ammo using 70 grn spitzers (ballistic tips) over 44 grns of H414, Remington 9½ primers, anyone have any experience of this load. :?:
"I am in the process of getting a new Tikka T3 in .222 Rem. "???????

I hope that load is NOT in a 222 REM!!!! :shock: :x :lol:
Sounds like you went for a 243.......???

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes a .243. the load I use in the .222Rem is 20.5grns of Reloader 7 pushing a 50 grn Vmax. This was a good accurate load but I wanted something a bit bigger for deer as well as fox.
I went for the wooden stock as opposed for the polymer one, as I prefer the feel of wood even though it probably isn’t as practical.
Hope you enjoy the rifle. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts