Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone ever seal the primers and crimps of thier reloads to extend the shelf and carry in snooty weather life of the round. I was going to hit the finished rounds with some Sally Hansens Hard as Nails at the primer and the crimp I thought about rubbing some bees wax over the edge to seal it off. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
148 Posts
How long of a shelf life are you expecting? I have some .222, .357, .32HPS and .45LC that I loaded over 12 years ago that shoot just the same and as consistant as rounds I loaded a month ago.

I imagine that a little case lube will work if you apply it to the crimp and primer after loading. ...just enough to fill in the seem. ..wouldn't want it collecting dust/dirt.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a thought as I like to hunt in the slop no matter if is coming from above or below. No matter how good your gear is you are still gonna get wet.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Custom Rodsmith
I have never used anything to weather proof my reloads. I hunt in the river bottoms and swamps of MS and have never had any problems with my reloads. Half the time that I'm hunting, I'm in ankle deep water. I have had no problems with moisture getting into my reloads. I also hunt in the rain. I have not had any of my reloads fail to preform yet.

just my two cents worth...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Deerdown
Kinda like you my most worn pair of boots are my hip waders until it gets to cold to wear em (uninsulated) I have had water in my waterproof pack to the point that everything is either in ziplocks or vac sealed. Was just curious if it would be worth the little bit extra to seal em up. Guess I will just use em up and make a fresh batch for the following hunt. That sounds like more fun anyway.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you already put stuff in a ziplock bag, maybe the few extra rounds you carry could go in one too.

·
Registered
439 Posts
My wife and I seal ALL my primers with red fingernail polish, cut with acetone so it is thiner (just thicker than water, if that thick). Just a little drop, it "runs" around the primer. Have done this for over 20 years now, never a problem. Had some that got moisture in them before I started this. Just kept it up. After I prime em, we just sit in the den and do about a hundred or so while talking or watchin the tube, then I load them.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Norma big bore ammo used to be fixed that way. A green stripe around the bullet/case juncture & around the primer annulus. It looked like thinned lacquer as exodus describes. I think that would have more applications in a very hot & humid environment such as the extremes of Africa. 'Course, Miss & Ala, etc can sure as heck get that way, too! SW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts