Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was told by a guy at a silhouette shoot that she racks the lever too
hard and that it will wear out the gun. He also said he wouldn't let
her even touch any of his guns because she racks a round in with vigor.
The same guy also said that it's only in the movies that they do this and that's
because the actors don't own the guns.

The type of ammo I am using is 357 mag jsp's in a Rossi 92.
The thing is the PMC ammo while crazy accurate even out to 200 yards
doesn't like to chamber the round unless you rack it with authority because
the bullet is angled more than rounded. Granted a RNFP would be ideal but
it's hard enough to find cheap 357 mag ammo as it is.
If you don't rack it with some force then you have to fiddle with it to get
it to chamber.

What's the verdict? Will it wear out the action or is this guy full of hot air?

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,353 Posts
Rack 'em as hard as needed to make 'em work. Then add a bit more force for a margin of reliability. (as we used to say in law enforcement - "that force required to achieve desired results") I would agree that excessive force can unnecessarily put undue stress on parts. Examples: 1903/03A3 excessive force slapping the bolt too hard to the rear results in left locking lug on bolt battering as it strikes the bolt stop. Dropping the slide of a 1911 pistol on an empty chamber batters the breach face of the slide, the hood that extends over the chamber on the barrel, lugs on the bottom of the barrel and the slide release. IMHO AC

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think the issue is the bolt going too far back but rather needing enough
force to consistently feed the rounds. I tend to baby it so I have to fiddle with it.
My wife racks it with authority and it loads perfectly every time.

The Marlin 1894s that I just got using Federal JHP's you can cycle the action
with 1 pinky finger literally.
I believe this is because the federal ammo is more of a RNHP than PMC.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Unless you are a muscle bound guerilla, rack them with the force that’s needed. The parts of any decent gun are made of good enough hardened materials that forceful racking is not going to hurt it. ( I do have doubts about the materials in the new Remington’s though). The real killer or what will wear out any type of actions is dirt/grit or poorly lubed moving parts. Dry metals moving against one another will wear out darn near any type of metal before its time. The other side of dry is lubes that stay wet and collect dirt. Which is why should clean actions often or perhaps use a dry film type of lubricate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The only abusive moves I have ever seen with a lever gun is when some one tries to do the rifleman flip or a one handed flick forward with a quick jerk back to chamber a round like in the movie The quick and the dead with Gene Hackman. That puts hard use on the lever, pivot pin and the joint. The lever usually bends in the trigger guard area. That is your first clue that stupid is happening. Most of the time those moves result in a dropped gun or messed up front sight from hitting the ground or the table you thought was far enough away. All under the category of "Hey watch this". I've seen stupid people do this first hand.

I say as long you are not ramming it hard to open the bolt there is no problem with smartly closing lever to chamber a round. The cowboy action speed shooters don't seem to replace rifles at an alarming rate.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I thought. I couldn't figure what this guy was on about.
Apparently he babies his guns which is ok by me but I'd never heard of
a lever being work out from smartly racking a round in.
I guess I should take a video of her doing it and post it.

As far as spincocking and various other John Wayne & The Rifleman
types of stunts. I gotta say I love it!
I am so glad that Hollywood has come up with this stuff and when
I watch those old movies, it's great to see.

Now as far as doing it to mine.... No way, not to a real gun.
If I could find a toy lever gun with a big loop that I didn't mind breaking
well ok. Toy as in shoots nothing out the end of the barrel!

Now I could see if my wife was spincocking her Rossi 92 I can see people getting
a bit upset. But she's just levering a round into the chamber from a level position.

it would be easier with different ammo but this ammo is crazy accurate so I'm not
going to switch.
I would have qualified as an AA shooter if I hadn't gotten 1 out of turn. :vollkommenauf:
My wife is only 3 away from an AA rank herself.

This is with stock buckeye sights! Not those fancy rear tang peep sights everyone else is using.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The 30/30 I shoot silhouettes with has been shot around 8500-9000 times since I 've had it and it was used when I got it.
Never levered really hard but not gentle either.My 1980 39A has been shot about 25000 times since I got it in January 2009.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Actually spin cocking doesn’t increase the cocking load, your cocking with the weight of the gun plus inertia. Even if you figure a factor of three for inertia, that’s only 15 lbs of cocking force. Can easily exceed that with very brisk standard cocking. What happens in spin cocking is really the frame is spinning around the lever, rather than lever being cycled with frame stationary. What is more likely is a round to hang up feeding thru the loading gate with the gun being in a spin, so might have to try a few different types of cartridges before finding one to feed out of position. Can always try with some dummy loads so cant screw up and add holes to your ceiling until get the spin right !:flute:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I looked up the results my wife was only 4 targets behind this guy.

I understand that some people baby their guns but for him to say she is
going to break the gun and that he would never let her handle one
of his guns is a bit much.
I'll try and get a video up of what she is doing.
O did tell her to rack it with authority and she has zero loading problems.

Regardless of spincocking damaging thegun or not, I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are no teams except if you are there as an individual and need someone to spot for you.
Most of the time you can find someone who will spot for you.
It's not a big thing.
I think some people just baby their guns and see a fast rack and think it'll break their gun.
It's kind of like the the people ho work in a gun store don't want the slide to slam
home on a new gun. They want you to ease it forward.
Oh and I would not work a lever that fast in a gun store because they'd get mad.
Well actually I did with the Rossi and the owner didn't care at all.

I guess it depends on who it is.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Manufacturers today do not polish and fit the actions of new firearms like they did 40, 50 or 100 years ago. Additionally new firearms also come with a debris from the manufacturing process.

Tens of thousands of Cowboy Action shooters can attest that fast cycling of Marlins will not "wear" them out. Some parts (extractors, ejectors) do wear; that is normal and expected. Regular cleaning and lubrication increase the intervals for replacement of these parts.

I have owned and shot Marlins in CAS, some new and some that were over 120 years old, and never worried about cycling them too fast. A few of my Marlins have had 10,000 rounds through them, one has had maybe 20,000.

If you look at a new lever that won't cycle quickly it may be in need of cleaning or it may be a junker
DD

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In this case it is in fact the nose of the bullet and possibly the crimp
could be a bit tighter. Federal uses a better crimp and rounder bullets.
But they cost a lot more.
when I start reloading I will use hardcast RNFP's and that should fix it.
Most cowboy rounds are Round Nose Flat Point bullets.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
As has been said, the guy doesn't have a clue. I doubt that your wife could operate the lever hard enough to hurt it if she tried. He nothing more that one of those self-appointed experts that should be avoided whenever possible.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Once we are over the Flu. I will get a video of her cycling the action.
That way if it's a big deal it'll be there for all to see and correct.
If not then she's G2G!

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Wouldn't let her touch his gun's? Don't let him near your wife! Sound's like a typical range expert! Besides it's her rifle! Expert be damned!

:biggrin: :dito: WITH ATTITUDE :rofl:

Condition 1 I can't even find a You Tube with Remlin with a bent lever:hmmmm:

Maybe side pull on a lever could cause ware on the pins (but that is wasted energy
and she would tire of that).
Closing the action ain't like a car wreck... the bolt will go no further than it is designed to :shot:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts