Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1894P has been way past cycling for years now. It was just setting in the locker. Last night I disassemble the rifle. I took a pattern file to the sharp edge on the lever cam. I took almost nothing off the sharp edge. Just enough to where it no longer had a crisp edge and reassembled the rifle with the new carrier from MidwayUSA which I have listed below. This carrier is advertised as improved and does look different from the original carrier in several ways. My question is: Does the improvement mentioned for the new lifter address the wear caused by the sharp edge of the cam or should I have taken a little more metal off the sharp edge? I hate to wear out another $70 carrier if someone here knows more filing would be a better route.
Marlin Carrier Assembly Marlin 1894, 1894CB 44 Remington Magnum, 1894CB 45 Colt (Long Colt), 1894FG
  • Product #: 370170

• Manufacturer #: F410238

• UPC #: 197706370170

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I don't think Marlin ever made an 1894 carrier that wont eventually have this issue, There is one made in Europe made of stainless steel that may be better.
Hopefully Ruger will solve this issue once and for all.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
There are several fixes to the wear on the lifter posted on the gun smithing board. One of the better ones is to apply a segment of hacksaw blade to the worn area. That should keep it running for a lifetime or two....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think Marlin ever made an 1894 carrier that wont eventually have this issue, There is one made in Europe made of stainless steel that may be better.
Hopefully Ruger will solve this issue once and for all.
You may be correct. Apparently I did not take enough metal of the lever cam because, though it was running like a champ in the new lifter, by shot 40 it is getting tough to cycle the action. Back too the drawing board.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are several fixes to the wear on the lifter posted on the gun smithing board. One of the better ones is to apply a segment of hacksaw blade to the worn area. That should keep it running for a lifetime or two....
I will take a second look. Thanks.

·
Registered
831 Posts
A few of the cowboy gunsmiths are milling the carrier and installing a flat of hard tool steel at the correct height.
Solder/Brazing does not come apart as JB Weld is prone to do.

I am not aware there was a stainless carrier replacement coming out of Europe.
If you have the url, etc, please post here.

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
A few of the cowboy gunsmiths are milling the carrier and installing a flat of hard tool steel at the correct height.
Solder/Brazing does not come apart as JB Weld is prone to do.

You can find it on ebay. Price is north of $100.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
It's only made for the 38/357 and I don't know if they will ship to the USA.
shows here MarlinSpares.com but available here mikethegun.co.uk under accessories.

·
Registered
831 Posts

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I found the stainless product on eBay, nothing on Mike site for "accessories" by searching the menus.

Found it here:

My mistake it's under guns for sale then accessories, I was trying to avoid posting a direct link.
I don't see where Mike will ship to the USA and the one on Ebay looks different than his.
Either way it's a pricey solution with shipping and I haven't seen any feedback as to if it really makes a difference.
It's really the only alternative I've seen outside of modifiying a worn one. I imagine a new one isn't plug and play and would have to be fitted by a gunsmith to get the timing right. Around here good luck finding a gunsmith that isn't booked 6 months or more out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts