Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever really read The Constitution of The United States of America?

Some say it is the great living document in the history of our world.

Here it is btw ... it's the reference site I use whenever I am entering into a debate on what is contained within the document itself - I hope you'll find this reference as useful as have I. Here you go, check it out ...

Constitution for the United States - We the People

Perhaps we can use this thread to discuss the contents of the document over time. It's a really interesting document.

What would you change if you could go back in time and advise our Founding Fathers, warning them of future perils?

What is perfect? What should not be touched?

I know I would reword quite a few things from top to bottom, but just slightly. For instance, to begin with, I would start with the 2nd Amendment which now reads as follows:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
I would change it to read ...

An unregulated citizenry, being necessary to the security of a free State, affording the right of our citizens to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
But then, I would change certain aspects of The Constitution to put more restrictions on who would be, and could be, legal citizens of this country. And it would go beyond just being born here. My idea would be more along the lines of Robert A. Heinlein's qualifications for citizenry as stated in his novel Starship Troopers. Perhaps not quite as drastic, but similar in nature being that government service, at a young age, would be required.

Another thing I would change.

I would have made slavery absolutely and 100% unlawful from the moment that document was ratified and became law.

Another thing I would change.

I would take a close look at providing wording in Articles II & III that would have prevented Roosevelt (FDR) from holding hostage our Supreme Court under the threat of expanding the number of the court to fit his needs in order to ram-rod through his illegal executive actions of which we are still suffering from the repercussions even today.

There are many many more things that I would do ... but what about you?

This is a topic that should go-on forever, it could go-on forever, if we are really paying attention these days.

I keep a pocket version of the document with me practically at all times ... and I refer to the link above often. I hope you'll give it some considerations as well.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Term limits and no lobbying. We get that now and this mess could be turned around in a rather short amount of time.
Easily typed and posted to this thread ... but where, exactly, would you insert that into our Constitution?

Where would you put it - what would you change, add or subtract in order to achieve your desired results?

If you could go back in time, what would you advise our Founding Fathers to rewrite and why? How would you explain the future problem(s) to them so-as to convince them that the change needed to be made.

Remember, these men were not men that could simply be told what to do ... you must convince them in as few words as possible. Some things are self-explanatory. Where would you put your change within the document itself and how would you explain the need for change?

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Sorry Gallo, but the gobermint here has outlawed the word "citizen" fore it is unfair to the illegal invaders.

and the gobermint has been infringing on We The People's right since 1936, and they are infringing more until they get what they want.
No guns, and enslavement.

and there is not a thing you can or will do about

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sorry Gallo, but the gobermint here has outlawed the word "citizen" fore it is unfair to the illegal invaders.

and the gobermint has been infringing on We The People's right since 1936, and they are infringing more until they get what they want.

No.

That's surrendering to them and I refuse to do that.

Have we really all given-up? Have we really all resigned ourselves to totally losing our country?

Our Founding Fathers gave us ways, gave us the tools and the means to change things if our government got out of hand. They are right there in the words.

This is what I'm trying to convey. Everyone talks about out Constitution ... but our politicians know we are sheeple, they know most of us only know two things about the Constitution ... the 1st and 2nd Amendments.

We have to be smarter than that.

We have to be willing to be activists ... every bit as activists as the far left wing liberal nut jobs. Because those people go to their graves being left wing liberal nut jobs.

We just need to read and understand the words.

Words are a powerful, powerful thing.

·
Registered
653 Posts

WRONG!!:tee:

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
I picked up a couple nicely bound copies a few years back when I saw them on clearance, one for myself and one for my brother. It's one of those documents that is easy to read but difficult to write, a sure sign of genius in elegant simplicity.

A couple changes I could see suggesting the original authors consider would be along the lines of doing something to weaken extreme, bipolar partisanship by perhaps adapting a couple features of a parliamentary system to our system, such as forcing congress to dissolve and new elections to be called if congress fails to pass a budget.

And to more strongly consider delineating how the House should expand with population size, to keep Representatives becoming more and more like Senators over time, i.e. to keep the House more responsive to and beholden to the people.

Reactions: Gallo Pazzesco

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I picked up a couple nicely bound copies a few years back when I saw them on clearance, one for myself and one for my brother. It's one of those documents that is easy to read but difficult to write, a sure sign of genius in elegant simplicity.

A couple changes I could see suggesting the original authors consider would be along the lines of doing something to weaken extreme, bipolar partisanship by perhaps adapting a couple features of a parliamentary system to our system, such as forcing congress to dissolve and new elections to be called if congress fails to pass a budget.

And to more strongly consider delineating how the House should expand with population size, to keep Representatives becoming more and more like Senators over time, i.e. to keep the House more responsive to and beholden to the people.
Very interesting idea regarding dissolving the government if they fail to agree on a budget. That could be a double-edged sword ... but it's an interesting thought.

So, sort of like how the Israeli government works? Or more like Great Britain's?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts