Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"We close at 6 but if you are comming I'll wait...&quot

That was the greeting I got from my FFL dealer when he called me today. My 336SS 35 had come home. I walked in at 5:45, he took it out of the plastic and handed it to me. "Congratulations." I won't say what the serial number is but it's less than 50. I racked the action... goose bumps.

The 336SS 35 is for all intents and purposes identical to the 336D (a .35 guide gun), but there are differences. Standing them side by side I noticed that the 35SS is .50" to .65" longer than the 336D. The difference appears to be in the stock of the SS which is equipped with a narrow solid recoil pad. The 336D sports a thicker, ventelated recoil pad.

The sights, front and rear are blue. This rifle is unported, thank goodness and sports a straight grip.

A light coat of oil to remove the factory film revealed a satin like finish, polished but not gaudy.

While the OAL is slightly greater than the 336D the 3/4 magazine appears to be about an inch shorter. A little odd but looks very much in proportion.

While this is a nice rifle it is not perfect. The finish and wood to metal fit of the stock is only mediocre at best. I can make bring both almost to specs with only superficial modifications but I shouldn't have to do this. I will readily admit to being spoiled by the older Marlins finishes and quality of wood but IMO this should not be an issue on a limited production rifle.

As I inspect further I will write more, I hope I am not the only one on the board who will own one. In spite of the imperfections it was worth the wait.

By the way, the cost will be $550 to $600, I paid $600. Did I pay too much? Probably. I look for the cost to moderate depending upon demand.

Thanks Tomray for the heads up.

SS

·
Registered
310 Posts

Sidespin,
What about the barrel specs...is the barrel as thick and heavy as the .45-70, or is it more in line with a 336 .30-30 barrel? Just curious...

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts

You had better take it out this weekend and shoot it!! I promise I will wipe the drool off of it if I ever get to look at it :lol: Sounds like Tomray and the crew did good!! I'm still waiting to get my hands on my 717M2

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts

Glad you finally got your stainless wish! Truth be told, waiting and wishing is the funnest part. :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Beacon,

The barrel appears to identical to the 336D. I have not measured, I will do this but all I have access to with the equipment I own is the entire OD and only the muzzel ID. I do not own a 45/70 but do have a .444 so I can make only a general comparison.

You have a good memory Dr. Dave, ever since joining the board (Marlin Talk) I have wanted a stainless .35.

Big Med, ironically my FFL dealer said he drooled over it a little. Now I'll have to find a matching scope and rings for it. I do plan to shoot it, if it brings the value down, what the heck!

SS

·
Registered
594 Posts

Congratulations Sidespin,
That'll make a fine hog gun :wink: . I finally added a SS Marlin to my collection. It's a 336SS 30-30. I definitely don't have the funds for one of those SS 35's like you just got. But I sure wish I did :( .

·
Registered
5,697 Posts

Now.....Let's have a SS 39 Mountie with the laminated stock....Please.

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts

Sounds like a really sweet piece, but anyone who tells you not to shoot it needs their head examined. My stainless 44 was tight and rough when I first got it, now it's like oiled silk, only better. And at least for me, there's something very special about stainless rifles with nice wood. The fit and finish on my 1894 is perhaps the best I've seen from Marlin yet, blued or stainless. And everyone who sees it immediately wants to shoot it. I hope you have a lot of ammo loaded!

Papajohn

·
Registered
336 Posts

:D I doubt that there is anyone on this board more happy for you than me! I can't wait until I have my hands on one. It should be soon. I had to sell off a few of my favorites, but I know I will have no regrets.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I'm gonna have to send my 35SS back to Marlin. As I mentioned the wood to metal fit especailly around the upper tang is marginal. It also appears that the finish was refined while the rifle was assembled, because there is some finish or some type of sealing compound on the upper tang. I called Marlin and they advised me to send it back so off she goes.

I will post a pic to show you what I'm talking about. Hope this doesen't happen to anyone else.

SS

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts

What a bummer to finally get your gun and have to send it back right away, did you at least get some good fondling time with it? :D

I just got back from the range, and found out that both of the people that shot my 1894SS last week have ordered their own. I TOLD you it was a sweet one!

Papajohn

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I got some quality time in with it, in spite of the dissappointing fit it has the suttle charm that a stainless guide gun would have and the .35 caliber just adds to it.

I'll get it back within a month and I'll be glad I had it corrected. A rifle like this should be just right.

SS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts