Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KNOTTYBUMPO, DEADEYE AND I have hunted together for many years. during this time, we all, eventually, pulled a shot or two while shooting at deer. things happen! a stick you don't see or a string that swipes your clothes in an awkward shooting position. at these times, we always put in every effort to recover a wounded deer.

we were hunting one evening in the shawnee forest in southern illinois.
deadeye shot a buck that was coming straight towards him. the arrow hit off to one side and the deer run off to parts unknown.

after sizing up the situation we all thought it would be best to leave the deer lay up a while before we went tracking it. we folowed the blood trail a short ways and found that it had crossed the road about 10 feet from our trucks tailgate! as luck would have it, he had plenty gas to climb a really steep hill and keep on going. shucks!

after hashing it all over we decided to go to town and eat supper, and then come back with a full lantern and give chase. we would definitely be tracking in the dark. we needed fuel for the lantern and fuel for the body. those hills in shawnee are steep and we probably would have to climb several going and coming.

it was about 3 hours before we got back to the deers trail. it was darker than the inside of a cow by that time and one could only see as far as the coleman lantern light. there is no night vision at all when you are following blood splatters on the ground. that's what we did. we tracked slowly and methodically. one person would stand looking at the last place we saw blood, one would stand on the newest find and the other would search just in front for new sign.

we went up hills and we went down hills. where the blood led we followed.

after a couple of hours we were going up a fairly steep hill with our noses to the ground. we suddenly realised that the shadow right in front of us was the buck! he was also in the upright position and pointed in our direction. the thing charged knotty! he was lucky enough to duck out of the way! he got down below us and did not have the strength to come back up to us. oh! and of course, we were weaponless except for some small skinning knives.

we introduced the buck to one of the first weapons man ever used. a stout club between the eyes and he went to the ground where we were able to cut the cartoids. that put an end to the deer chase. the arrow had entered at the front of the shoulder and had passed completely under the blade and out again without entering the body cavity! the buck was then gutted and made ready for the drag out to the road......hhhmmmmm....where's the road?

after following a lantern light for a couple of hours we had no idea in which direction the road lay. outside of the lantern light you could see nothing but faint hilltops. of course we had no compass and at that time i had never heard of a gps.

after hashing it out we decided to drag the deer up to the top of the hill that the blood trail seemed to come from. so...we drug and huffed and drug and puffed and strained and drug some more. finally we got to the top. it took a lot of stopping and resting to get up that hill. we then drug the deer down the ridge a ways and found a finger going down. this just had to be the way, so off we went. going downhill is a cinch. we got to the bottom much quicker. we drug the deer around in the bottom of that draw a while. it was getting late in the night. i was carrying the lantern as we drug the deer around and really could not see a thing beyond the light. when i came across a huge mark on the ground....i noticed that!

oh my! of course we had dragged that deer all over those hills and ended up about 10 feet from the gutpile. murphey wouldn't have it any other way. that did it for me. i figured we would be sleeping on the wet leaves for the remainder of the evening.

at last we came up with a plan. we hung that deer out over a dry creek so the yotes could not get at him. there was too much precious sweat invested in him to hand him over to them.

after we got him secured as best we could, we circled around till we struck the blood trail again. i figured since we had tracked our way to this point following the blood trail in the lantern light that there was no reason we could not reverse the situation.

we stumbled down the hill within 10 feet of the truck...eventually! it was in the wee hours of the morning when we got back to camp. nobody had to be sung to sleep neither!

next morning we had to go track that deer again! to add insult to injury, the thing was actually only one hill over from the truck.

i think we must have walked about 5 miles inside of 20 acres!

we got a lot of laughs over that escapade after a while.....not right away mind you.....but eventually!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
ROFLMAO. its sure not hard to do in the woods even in daylight. let alone night.... I have been there done that. . :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
:mrgreen: Squacks,

That sure sounds like some of our adventures. You are correct in that after a while it is funny but not at the time.

Thanks for the good read.

Dave :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Bringing it back for another look - great story!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
btt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts