Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally took a reloading class and am in the de-capping/resizing process! So I went through my R-P stash and started on my W-W brass when I noticed that some were slightly rippling lenghthwise to the case?? I rechecked my die seating and even ran another R-P through it and no ripples??? Any suggestions????

·
Premium Member
17,017 Posts
Hey Rubbman,

Caliber? Brand of dies? Press? Lube? Pics? (we need a bit more info, to help) Are the dies clean?...........etc.

(in most calibers, Winchester brass is slightly thinner than Remington brass)

Most adjust the sizing die "down" to the shell holder, then back off a "touch" (most presses "cam over"), and then "lock" the die down (with a lubed case in the die)

Later, Mark

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just read another thread about hydraulic rippiling from over lubrication, wow! I thought I was allready being lube stingy, looks like I will have to use even less!

·
Registered
84 Posts
My RCBS 45/70 dies (FL) are very sensitive to the amount of lube I use. Too little and the cases almost stick and just a little more lube and I get occasional lube dents. And I've been handloading 30 years. They aren't pretty to look at but they don't hurt anything. I'm guessing because the case is a tapered straight wall case with so much surface area?

·
Registered
17,064 Posts
Some lubes are better than others. Since you're new at reloading,you'll have to try a few and see what gives you the best results. I use Lee lube,it's a water soluble industrial wax,lubes well and is easy to remove. No lube dents,either.
Don't forget to remove 100% of the lube before firing. This step is super important. Hope you are successful in your newfound skill.

Rob

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
I started using Kiwi Mink Oil on the rifle casing, have not had any issues at all.

·
Registered
17,064 Posts
I started using Kiwi Mink Oil on the rifle casing, have not had any issues at all.
I googled Mink Oil,and a funny thing came up. The"North American Animal Rights Liberation Front" posted a warning on their website. They injected 263 tins of Kiwi Mink Oil with cyanic acid,and S.C. Johnson had to pull the product off the shelves at Wal Mart,CVS Pharmacy,Walgreens and other retailers for safety reasons. Cyanic acid is poisonous and eats leather. The looney tooners were protesting commercial mink farming for the pelts as cruel. The crazies are everywhere!!
S.C. Johnson is reformulating Kiwi Mink Oil to not contain real oil from dead minks.
Thanks for the tip myflatline. It sounds like a good economical resizing lube,now I'm going to have to try it in honor of the minks who gave their all,and to get back at those Animal Rights idiots.

Rob

·
Registered
278 Posts
I guess too much lube. Make up some plinking loads with them and you will be able to shoot the wrinkles out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts