Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading postings where reloaders write about not seeing pressure signs like flattened primers, sticking cases, etc. All of this is when writing about loads that should be at 44,000 CUP MAX. Well, I don't see pressure signs with my rifle that fires the .338 WIN MAG at 54,000 CUP. And you won't see the pressure signs with the Weatherbys that run at 55,100 CUP. If you want to see the pressure signs, then you will have to go beyond the pressures that the magnums run at. I have had pressure signs while working up magnum loads. It usually came from making a change in components or methods, like crimping or not crimping. That is why you should start back at the low point and work up. If you want to be a load developer then get one of the pressure testers that connect to the barrel of your gun. But if you want to depend on pressure signs then you shouldn't be shooting the mid pressure range rounds.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Round Slammer-Very true about not seeing minor signs before being way over.There was a thread on leverguns.com that went into which levergun was the strongest?They ran the Winchester and Marlin up close to the .454 pressures(65,000 PSI)If I remember right the Marlin went out at about 62,000 PSI but they were loading it with H-110(A hot pistol powder)The first real sign they saw was it wouldn't lock up or it came un locked.Some other people have made some mistakes and had the same thing happen at a higher pressure with flattened primers and had to pound the brass out.

Yikes....Not for me. 40,000 CUP is a very good and hot enough load for me.As you know there are others that load there ammo and give loads over the internet in the mid 40's which in my mind gives a good margin of error for me.

It is a very interesting read.Here it is,It's worth the trip.
http://leverguns.sixgunner.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2060

Then there is the .475 Linebaugh in the 336????? :lol:

Best of luck....Jayco.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts